Wednesday March 13, 2013
Lahad Datu: Tears still flowing for families of men killed in action
KUALA LUMPUR: Family members who lost their loved ones in the Sabah intrusion are still struggling to come to terms with their deaths.
Jabah Anak Mingku, 34, wife of Asst Supt Micheal Anak Padel who died in an ambush in Semporna, is one of them.
“I still wish that this is just a nightmare and that my husband is still alive,” she said.
“Two days before his death, I was feeling extremely jittery and troubled. I did not know he was to enter the highly volatile area.
“Due to the nature of his job, I am never told of any such information,’’ she added.
Jabah was among the families of the slain policemen who attended a ceremony at Bukit Aman yesterday.
Each family received a cheque for RM20,000 from DRB-Hicom and Felda Global Ventures Holdings. Injured personnel were given RM8,000 each.
Muhd Izzat Syafik, 16, said his father, Sgt Baharin Hamit, had given him a scooter before he left for Sabah.
“I will forever cherish that scooter as it will always remind me of my father who died as a national hero protecting the country,” he said.
The father of slain L/Kpl Mohd Azrul Tukiran, Tukiran Ahamad, 65, said he was also saddened to learn of the insensitive comments passed by some quarters on the Internet.
“Its easy to pass judgment but they will never know the blood, sweat and tears the armed forces and the duress that their families undergo during such,” said Tukiran, himself a retired army personnel.
Lahad Datu: Smallholder fears suffering losses
Lahad Datu: Zahid Hamidi: Security forces' spirits still high
Lahad Datu: Man in torture video not a member of Malaysian security forces
Dead Suluk terrorists found with invincibility talismans'
Lahad Datu: Top cops to meet PSD over pay rise
Lahad Datu: Soldier, two gunmen killed in Lahad Datu
Lahad Datu: Slain soldier was to be engaged last month
Lahad Datu: Muhyiddin: Affected residents to get RM1,000 each