Thursday March 14, 2013
Suit against two legal bodies to be heard April 17
KUALA LUMPUR: A civil suit filed by lawyer Mohd Khairul Azam Abdul Aziz against the Malaysian Bar and Bar Council in relation to the legality of a notice for the Malaysian Bar’s extraordinary general meeting (EGM) has failed to reach an out-of-court settlement.
Following this, High Court judge Justice Louis O’Hara fixed April 17 for hearing the striking out application by the two bodies.
Justice O’Hara fixed the date after meeting counsel Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Abdul Rahman, who acted for plaintiff Mohd Khairul and S. Navindran for the Malaysian Bar and Bar Council yesterday.
Abdul Aziz later told reporters that they had been discussing the issue for the last two weeks but had not reached an agreement.
He contended the whole thing was illegal and the main reason was that the Bar Council was a public authority under the constitution.
“They have to use Bahasa Malaysia for official purposes and any other language is illegal. Therefore, the notice is illegal,” he claimed.
Lead counsel Tommy Thomas, who acted for both bodies, told Justice O’Hara that it was hoped the matter would be resolved before the Malaysian Bar annual general meeting on March 16.