Published: Thursday March 14, 2013 MYT 8:33:00 PM
Updated: Thursday March 14, 2013 MYT 8:43:15 PM
Lahad Datu: Man with swords, machetes detained
LAHAD DATU: Security forces detained a man at a roadblock in Tanjung Labian on Thursday and seized two swords and three machetes
The man was carrying the items in a package on his motorcycle, said Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar.
He said the man, in his 30s, was behaving in a suspicious manner and an inspection revealed the weapons.
Ismail said the man was detained at 10.40am and taken to the Cenderawasih police station for questioning.
"The investigation was to determine his background," he told a news conference called at 5pm at the Felda Sahabat 16 operations command.
Ismail did not reveal, however, whether the man was a Malaysian or a foreigner.
Ismail also said that there had been no clashes between the security forces and the Sulu terrorists in the Ops Daulat zone in Tanjung Batu and Sungai Nyamuk over the past 24 hours up to 5pm on Thursday.
Nevertheless, the security forces were carrying on with the operation to flush out the remnants of the terrorists in the two areas and had put up more roadblocks within the zone.
The Ops Daulat offensive was launched on March 5 after the Sulu terrorists, who had holed up in Kampung Tanduo since Feb 12, killed eight policemen on March 1 and 2 in the village and in Kampung Simunul, Semporna.
Ismail said a forensics team was trying to identify the bodies of 26 terrorists through DNA profiling and finger prints.
On reports that two boats carrying 35 Filipinos believed to be followers of Jamalul Kiram were detained in Tawi-Tawi waters on Wednesday, Ismail said the Malaysian authorities were awaiting information from the Philippine authorities.
The Philippine media had reported on Wednesday that a Philippine navy patrol unit detained 35 people believed to have links with the Sulu terrorists in Sabah at 6.30am and recovered several weapons and explosives from the boats.
Ismail reminded the people and journalists against going into the Ops Daulat operations zone, and advised the people to continue to extend their cooperation for the success of the offensive. - Bernama
Lahad Datu: Misuari-Anwar link reported in leaked US diplomatic cable
Lahad Datu: Sabahans bounce back after crisis
Lahad Datu: Two soldiers posthumously promoted to rank of Koperal
Lahad Datu: Is Sulu general dead or alive?
Lahad Datu: Disease prevention and treatment at shelters
Lahad Datu: More APCs and copters to beef up security
Lahad Datu: Together in prayer for our heroes
Lahad Datu: Tragic way to meet boyfriend's family
Lahad Datu: Cops believe Azzimudie is alive