Published: Friday March 15, 2013 MYT 8:23:00 PM
Updated: Friday March 15, 2013 MYT 8:56:07 PM
Lahad Datu: Malaysia asks Philippines to claim bodies of slain Sulu gunmen
LAHAD DATU: Malaysia has written officially asking the Philippines to claim the bodies of its citizens killed in the Ops Daulat offensive against Sulu gunmen who had intruded into Sabah on Feb 12.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said the letter was sent after the post-mortem of the bodies was completed.
The Philippines has three days, as per the Geneva Convention, to respond, he said Friday.
"If there is no response in three days, we will go ahead and bury the dead," he told a news conference at the Ops Daulat command in the Felda Sahabat 16 plantation near here.
Also present was Army First Division commander Maj Jen Datuk Ahmad Zaki.
Hamza said 61 terrorists had been killed up to the 11th day of the Government offensive.
As of 5pm Friday, 27 of the bodies had been removed from the operations zone.
"We believe 10 more bodies have yet to be brought out of Kampung Tanjung Batu," he said, confirming that the security forces found three grave sites and 15 bodies in Kampung Tanduo. - Bernama
Lahad Datu: Whereabouts of Sulu terrorist group leader Azzimudie unclear
Lahad Datu: Philippines, Malaysia to work closely to flush out gunmen
Lahad Datu: Dr Mahathir questions hidden hands behind Sulu intrusions
Lahad Datu: Is Sulu general dead or alive?