Published: Sunday March 17, 2013 MYT 10:20:00 PM
Lahad Datu: Autopsies done on 22 of 28 bodies of terrorists, says Hamza
LAHAD DATU: Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said post mortems had been conducted 22 of the 28 bodies of terrorists brought out from areas under "Ops Daulat".
The bodies included that of a terrorist who was shot in a shootout in Kampung Tanjung Batu on Sunday, he told a media conference which was jointly held with Army First Infantry Division commander Major-General Datuk Ahmad Zaki Mokhtar at Felda Sahabat 16 near here about 5.30pm.
Malaysia had given the Philippines three days, in line with the Geneva Convention, to claim the bodies of their citizens killed in the "Ops Daulat" offensive against Sulu terrorists who had intruded into Sabah on Feb 12.
The deadline ended Sunday with no response from Manila.
Hamza said he did not rule out the possibility that the terrorists had escaped to Pulau Tambisan, about 100 km from Felda Sahabat.
However, he said, the security forces had tightened patrols at all strategic areas.
He said he was optimistic that the operation to flush out the remaining terrorists in Kampung Tanjung Batu would be completed Monday, following which the security team would focus on areas in Tanjung Labian and Sungai Bilis.
So far, 62 terrorists had been killed, 104 detained under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 and 241 people, including nine who were arrested Saturday and Sunday, for being in the "Ops Daulat" red zone area and other offences. - Bernama