Saturday March 2, 2013
PAS deputy president picked for safe seat in Pendang
By SIRA HABIBU
PETALING JAYA: PAS deputy president Mohamad Sabu's (pic) wish to be fielded in a safe seat may come true, as he has been selected to contest in the party's stronghold of Pendang.
It was reported in various media that Mohamad, who is popularly known as Mat Sabu, had been looking for a safe seat either in Kedah or Kelantan.
Sources said Mat Sabu was not keen on contesting in Penang despite hailing from there, as the Islamist party was not influential enough in the DAP-controlled state.
Pendang PAS chief Datuk Mohamed Taulan Mat Rasul confirmed that they have nominated Mat Sabu and two others to contest the Pendang parliamentary seat.
“We have given three names and it is up to the state and the central PAS leadership to make the final decision,” he said.
Pendang is regarded as a safe seat as it boasts the highest number of PAS members in the country.
“We have 15,000 members and we still hold the record as the area with the highest number of PAS members. But that does not necessarily guarantee us victory. Allah will decide,” he said.
Mat Sabu has expressed readiness to contest anywhere upon the party's wish.
Meanwhile, Kedah PAS deputy commissioner Datuk Phahrolrazi Mohd Zawawi is not keen to be the sacrificial lamb in Jerlun.
He conceded that it would be tough contesting the seat currently held by Jerlun MP Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir.
Phahrolrazi had reportedly got into the bad books of state commissioner Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak following a failed bid to oust the latter in 2011.
He has been nominated to contest the parliamentary seat by the state PAS.
Phahrolrazi prefers to keep mum on the issue.
“Let us hear what others have to say first. I will say my piece later,” said Phahrolrazi.