Friday March 22, 2013
Lahad Datu: More suspects to be charged over terror acts
By RUBEN SARIO, MUGUNTAN VANAR and SHAILA KOSHY
TAWAU: More suspects arrested following the ongoing operations against Sulu gunmen will be produced in court and charged with a variety of offences in the coming weeks, Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail said.
He said police needed time to complete their investigations into the more than 100 persons who were detained following the offensive against the gunmen since early March in the wake of their intrusion at the remote coastal Kampung Tanduo in Lahad Datu district.
“Some of them are likely to be charged under the Penal Code and others, under the Immigration Act,” he said after leading the prosecuting team in the charging of eight men accused of waging war, terrorism or harbouring terrorists at the High Court here yesterday.
Gani said some of those arrested had been detained under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act (SOSMA), like the eight charged at High Court yesterday.
The use of SOSMA was for procedural matters in court, such as not allowing bail for the accused.
He had gone to the ground in his native Lahad Datu and saw the difficulties encountered by the criminal investigation teams.
Meanwhile, the Sabah Law Association (SLA) is prepared to provide legal assistance to those arrested under Ops Daulat or charged, despite their limited resources.
In a statement, SLA said they had not been referred or assigned any cases involving those arrested under Ops Daulat as yet.
Their Human Rights and Legal Aid committees are working together to provide advice and representation.
The SLA urged the Philippines Embassy to liaise with them immediately if their citizens were arrested under Ops Daulat and later charged.
Their secretariat can be contacted by phone 088-232662, fax 088-232654 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Malaysian Bar president Christopher Leong said the Bar had accepted the Attorney-General’s invitation on March 15 to work with the SLA.