Monday March 4, 2013
Soldiers from Pengkalan Chepa leave for Sabah
KOTA BARU: A group of soldiers from the 21st Battalion Royal Malay Regiment at the 8th Brigade Camp, Pengkalan Chepa, left for Sabah as additional troops to monitor the situation in Lahad Datu.
They were given a tearful send-off by family members at the Sultan Ismail Petra Airport in Pengkalan Chepa here.
“Dear God, protect our father,” said six-year-old Mohammad Faris Aiman Mohd Faizul Anuar and younger sister, Arisya Sofia, four, in a telephone conversation with their father Kapt Mohd Faizul Anuar Fazil.
Siti Nor Juliana Ismail, 28, said it was with a heavy heart to see her husband, Kpl Ismail Ibrahim, 31, leaving, but she understood his responsibility to the country.
She hoped that the situation in Sabah would return to normal soon.
Sarimah Othman, 34, said she was uncertain of her feelings after being informed by her husband Mej Zaki Kadir that he had to go to Sabah.
“It worries me. I was thinking of our children. They are still very young. I’ll pray for his safe return,” she added.
Armed Forces chief Jen Tan Sri Zulkifeli Mohd Zin was reported to have said that two more army battalions would be deployed in several areas in the east coast of Sabah in an effort to restore public confidence.
The incursion in Lahad Datu has claimed the lives of eight policemen in separate incidents in Lahad Datu and Semporna.
It was reported that 15 of the intruders were killed so far, including one who was assaulted by villagers who overpowered him after he took them hostage in a village in Semporna. — Bernama
I had a bad feeling, says sister of slain cop
Villagers kill armed intruder
Too tragic for wife to bear
Commando's widow expresses gratitude for promotion
Cops, military taking cautious approach
Army rushing reinforcements to help police deal with latest landings
Najib calls for probe over instigation claims
Don't pay heed to rumours, people urged
Police, armed forces beef up ops
Semporna the gateway to Sipadan