Published: Tuesday March 5, 2013 MYT 2:01:00 PM
Updated: Tuesday March 5, 2013 MYT 5:27:01 PM
Lahad Datu: Sulu Sultanís spokesman says Malaysian jets missed Azzimudie Kiram
MANILA: The airstrike launched by Malaysian fighter jets in Lahad Datu Tuesday missed the forces of Azzimudie Kiram, the spokesman for the self-styled Sultanate of Sulu and North Borneo said.
Spokesman Abraham Idjirani said Kiram called him about 7.30am and then again at 9.30am and reported that forces of the Malaysian military and police commandos attacked a position that they (armed group) had previously occupied.
Idjirani also said Kiram reported that the fighter jets started circling Lahad Datu Monday night, the Philippine website PhilSTAR.com reported.
“[He told] us that the Malaysian forces and the police commandos, about seven battalions, attacked the place suspected of being Kiram's camp,” he said.
Idjirani said the Malaysian jets bombed a position previously held by the forces of Kiram but has now been occupied by Malaysian forces.
Idjirani said the incident could have been a case of “friendly fire”.
He said Kiram and his men are safe and are holed up in a place far from the airstrikes.
As tension remains high in Lahad Datu, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert F del Rosario met with Malaysian government officials in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday to discuss a peaceful resolution on the issue.
Also present during the meeting were Philippine Ambassador J Eduardo Malaya, Malaysian Foreign Ministry secretary-general Mohd Radzi Abdul Rahman and other embassy officials.
Del Rosario flew to Kuala Lumpur Monday evening.
PM: Malaysia defending honour and sovereignty (Update)
Malaysian security forces in all out attack against Sulu gunmen
Kg Tanduo: Ground battle in full force; jets silent
Sulu gunmen in Kg Tanduo have been totally defeated, say police sources
Aquino's spokesman says all was done to avoid bloodshed in Sabah
Groups protest outside Malaysian embassy in Manila
Yen Yen: Sabah is safe for tourists
IGP: House-to-house mopping up operations ongoing
Nazri: Lahad Datu incident an intrusion not war; Sulu gunmen to be charged with murder