Published: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 6:02:00 PM
Updated: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 8:13:31 PM
Lahad Datu: 52 gunmen killed in gunfights so far, says IGP
LAHAD DATU: A total of 32 Sulu gunmen were killed Thursday in mopping up operations by security forces, bringing the overall death toll to 52.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said one of those killed is believed to be a “high-ranking general.” He declined to reveal details of the man.
“As of now the death toll among the Sulu intruders stands at 52... at this point of time no further information can be given,” he told reporters here on Thursday.
Of those killed today, 31 were found dead in Kampung Tanjung Batu and the other in Kampung Tanduo.
Army chief General Tan Sri Zulkifli Zainal Abidin said that the mopping up operation was moving slowly to ensure the safety of the policemen and soldiers.
Lahad Datu: Ministers show pix of slain intruders
Lahad Datu: Dozens linked' to Sulu gunmen held for questioning
Lahad Datu: Police arrest four men during sweep in Semporna
Lahad Datu: Cops arrest four men suspected to be linked to armed intruders
Lahad Datu: IGP - More Sulu gunmen killed in clashes at three locations near Kg Tanduo
The ground shook during air raid, say locals