Published: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 10:34:00 PM
Updated: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 10:44:32 PM
EC takes measures to deter large gatherings at nomination centres
By ZUHRIN AZAM AHMAD
PUTRAJAYA: The Election Commission has decided to stop tents and chairs being set up at nomination centres and the serving of refreshments in order to stop large groups of supporters from gathering.
“We have decided to stop such practices. It can also help save expenditure for the EC.
“Supporters can stand under the trees,” EC chairman Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof told reporters after briefing leaders of political parties on various election matters here Thursday.
Among the leaders who attended the briefing were MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek, MIC president Datuk Seri G. Palanivel, PPP president Datuk M. Kayveas, PAS secretary-general Datuk Mustafa Ali and DAP national organising secretary Anthony Loke.
Abdul Aziz said party leaders had been informed of the decision and told not to bring too many supporters to the nomination centres.
“To file a nomination, you only need three persons candidate, proposer and seconder.
“With less people there, it will ease the duty of EC officers and the need for a big police presence,” he said.
Abdul Aziz said the leaders were also briefed on the use of the indelible ink, the casting of overseas votes and other changes made to improve the election process.
“We invited leaders of 30 political parties.
“This was the 14th and final informative session the EC has had with various groups before the general election is held,” he said.