Thursday March 7, 2013
People should just ignore MNLF founder, says Jabu
By ZORA CHAN
KUCHING: The Deputy Chief Minister has rubbished Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) founder Nur Misuari’s claims that Sarawak is part of his clan’s ancestral land.
Tan Sri Alfred Jabu Numpang said the people should just ignore these claims and rumours circulating around amid the attack in Sabah.
“People can claim but there is no basis to the claim. We defend our Malaysian territory and soil,” he told reporters after attending the late ASP Michael Padel’s burial service at the Heroes Grave here yesterday.
The Philippine Star recently reported Misuari as saying he and his clan were the true owners of Sabah and Sarawak, and that history would bear out that both states were the original properties of his great, great grandfather.
It was reported that Misuari also admitted that his relatives and MNLF members were among those who went to Lahad Datu, but denied instigating the invasion.
Asked if the state government had any plans to expand the existing Heroes Grave, Jabu said the media should not speculate on the need to do so.
Meanwhile, Deputy Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar advised the public not to believe in rumours and any other unconfirmed news sources concerning the attacks in Sabah.
“It’s normal to have some human movement along the coast — not just in Sabah but also in Sarawak and peninsula. So don’t worry and don’t listen to rumours.”
He said anyone with information should inform the police so that they could investigate and verify it.
Asked if it was true that the threat in Sabah was detected five years ago, Khalid said it was baseless as the country had been living in peace for years now.
“Don’t spread and believe in rumours that will cause concern among the people.”