Published: Saturday March 9, 2013 MYT 5:25:00 PM
Updated: Saturday March 9, 2013 MYT 6:16:45 PM
Lahad Datu: Police check Semporna village for weapons
SEMPORNA: Police conducted a thorough check at Lorong 5, Kampung Simunul here Saturday for remaining weapons of the Sulu militants who ambushed and killed six policemen on March 2.
Semporna police chief DSP Mohd Firdaus Francis Abdullah said about 100 personnel from the VAT 69 Commando Unit, Bukit Aman Special Action Unit, 14th Battalion General Operations Force and Forensics Unit were involved in the search.
"Besides looking for the weapons, we also made sketches of the location where the incident took place," he said when contacted.
The police check began at about 8am and went on for five hours.
Kampung Simunul village headman Ramlee Saraman said it was the first check by the police since March 2 when six policemen were killed in an ambush by Sulu militants, six of whom were also killed in the incident.
"During the police check, residents were not allowed to leave or enter the houses," he told reporters.
Ramlee said the police check brought relief to the villagers who had been anxious since the clash between the police and the militants.
"The villagers can now get on with their lives as usual," he said.
Replying to a question, Ramlee said almost 1,000 people had left the village last week following the ambush and 300 had yet to return. - Bernama