News

Saturday April 13, 2013

GE13: ‘Keep elections peaceful’

By FARIK ZOLKEPLI and STEVEN DANIEL
newsdesk@thestar.com.my


PETALING JAYA: Police will be resolute in taking action against those who violate the law so that the 13th general election (GE13) will be smooth and peaceful.

Federal Internal Security and Public Order director Comm Datuk Seri Salleh Mat Rasid said the force would not compromise the safety and security of Malaysians during and after the elections.

“We will not take any chances,” he told The Star. “Supporters and members of political parties and the public are advised to adhere to the law.”

His warning comes in the wake of a 19-year-old charged in the Seremban magistrate's court with taking down and damaging a political party flag.

The Attorney-General's (AG) Chambers issued a statement that Mohammad Faizzuden Mohd Fuad from Taman Teratai, Senawang in Negri Sembilan had allegedly committed the offence at Taman Ixora, Senawang, on March 19. If convicted, he can face up to two years' imprisonment, a fine or both.

Comm Salleh said the force had been on “a high state of readiness” since an election drill named “X-Ballot” was conducted in February.

At that exercise, 112,000 police personnel “tested out” 570 possible scenarios that ranged from fighting among supporters and removing of rival posters to the unlikely prospect of chaos and a state of emergency.

Comm Salleh said police personnel nationwide had also been trained on efficient crowd control.

Among the steps to ensure this on nomination day was to keep opposing groups of supporters more than 100m apart.

“The distance is wide enough to prevent them from being hit if they throw things at each other,” he said.

Comm Salleh said based on past elections, among the most common complaints received were posters and flags being put up on lamp posts, road signs and traffic lights.

Comm Salleh said the GE13 would be the first to use the Peaceful Assembly Act (PAA) 2012 prior to nomination day.

The Act stipulates that the authorities need only be told of any gathering, at least 10 days in advance.

“However, no permits are required, unlike under Section 27 of the Police Act 1967, which has been abolished,” he added.

He said any organiser of a ceramah or public gathering should also adhere to the rules and regulations set by a premise owner or local authority. “Such events should not involve children, unless permitted otherwise by the authorities.”

Meanwhile, Asst Comm Ramli Mohamed Yoosuf, who is the assistant head of the IGP's secretariat (Public Relations), said the PAA was flexible, giving people more freedom to gather as long as they did not disrupt public order.

“Malaysians should be trusted to hold peaceful gatherings,” he said.

He said the police media centre, located on the ground floor of Menara 1 in Bukit Aman, had been in operation since Parliament was dissolved.

“It will operate until after the elections are over and would disseminate information regarding security matters nationwide.”

For more election stories, please visit The Star's GE13 site

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share