Friday May 10, 2013
GE13: Mohamad, Ahmad and Adnan get another term as MB in their respective states
The MBs: (From left) Mohamad, Ahmad and Adnan. KUALA LUMPUR: Three state Barisan Nasional chiefs have been reappointed as the mentris besar.
In Seremban, state Barisan chief Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan was reappointed as Negri Sembilan Mentri Besar for a third term.
Mohamad, who turned 57 on May 2, will be sworn in before state ruler Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir at the Istana Besar Seri Menanti tomorrow.
Yesterday, Mohamad had an audience with Tuanku Muhriz at around noon at Istana Hinggap here where he was presented with the appointment letter. Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had called on the state ruler earlier in the morning.
Speaking to reporters later, Mohamad said there was no provision in the Laws of the Constitution of Negri Sembilan 1959 to allow for the appointment of a Chinese representative into the 10-man state exco line-up by the Mentri Besar.
“It is not like the federal level where the Prime Minister has the discretion to appoint a minister or deputy minister by first making the person a senator. In Negri Sembilan, one can only be appointed to the state exco after he or she has won an election,” he said, adding that although he respected the move by several MCA councillors to resign, he hoped that they would not act in haste.
“The Chinese or any other community will never be neglected despite MCA's and Gerakan's poor showing. Our policies are for all, irrespective of race or religion,” he said.
In Kuala Terengganu, Kijal assemblyman Datuk Seri Ahmad Said was reappointed as Mentri Besar for a second term after receiving the consent of Terengganu ruler Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin.
He is expected to be sworn in over the next few days together with the new state exco members who are yet to be appointed.
Ahmad, 56, sought an audience with Sultan Mizan at Istana Badariah at 2.45pm yesterday to present the letter of appointment from Najib.
“I have already identified the exco members and they will be made known at the ceremony,” he said at his official residence yesterday.
The state, he said, would also not set up a special body to oversee Chinese community affairs after MCA's Datuk Toh Chin Yaw, Barisan's sole Chinese representative in the previous state exco line-up, lost in the general election.
“Since the Chinese community were well aware that he (Toh) is their only candidate and yet still chose not to elect him, then I guess they do not want a representative,” said Ahmad.
In Kuantan, Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob was sworn in as Pahang Mentri Besar for the fourth term at Istana Abu Bakar here, taking his oath of office before the Sultan of Pahang at about 5pm.
Adnan, 63, took over the post from Tun Khalil Yaakob on May 25, 1999.
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Listeners share stories of a united nation

- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- New Sabah ministers get down to business
- Al-Arqam founder’s wife held
- Johor cops to act against organiser of planned Pakatan rally
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Najib has option of appointing Chinese ministers via Senate
- Seven lodge reports over vote-buying
- Laughter the best medicine for political rivalry, says club
- MCA man may be in Johor exco line-up
- Half of Negri Sembilan exco members to be new faces
- RHB Research maintains Buy on Gamuda, FV RM5.45
- Affin Research maintains Buy, TP RM3.70
- Trading ideas: MMC, Malton, Scomi
- Glass Lewis: Goldman shareholders should vote no on compensation
- UK housing demand highest in 3-1/2 years
- Amazon buys Liquavista from Samsung, launches digital currency
- Wall Street ends near flat after recent highs
- Malaysia-Market factors to watch on May 14(Tuesday)
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- New record for Malaysian stocks
- No new oil palm on peatland debate hots up
- Analysts cautious on plantation sector
- Economists see softer Q1 GDP growth in M'sia
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- Leon Fuat IPO to raise RM36mil
- Jun Hoong-Wendy continue fine form with bronze in 3m springboard
- Peng Soon says he’s physically and mentally ready for the Sudirman Cup
- Coach Tat Meng hopes the women will rise to the occasion
- Wei Keat aims to make an impact in Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- Rugby team set sights on promotion to Division One
- High stakes as KLHC and Tenaga aim to make history
- Revington selects five more players but trims national squad
- Alia eager to test her skills against world’s best in Munich
- Shariffuddin over the moon after selection to 600cc
- Inconsistent outing for Nabil in Belgium
- Champ Vettel blames Red Bull staff as Mercedes’ Rosberg is mystified
- Woods silences Garcia after winning golf’s richest prize by two strokes
- Madrid winners Nadal and Serena are favourites at Roland Garros
- Federer and Murray not worried over gay players
- Bolt to race in Zurich
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- New Orleans police release photos of Mother's Day shooting suspect
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Go see your reps first, says Chong
- From tomorrow, city cabbies can pick up passengers from KLIA
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- Malaysia's I-Bhd and Thailand's CPN in mall joint venture with GDV of RM580mil
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- Couple upset over baby’s death
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Allianz aims for RM150mil in new premiums
- RM90,000 raised at ‘swimathon’
- Facebook users risk being blackmailed by seductive strangers

