News

Saturday May 11, 2013

Court throws out businessman’s suit against MACC


KUALA LUMPUR: A businessman lost his bid to prove claims against the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Com­mission (MACC) director-general, the Government and three others that he was beaten up while under detention.

Halimi Kamaruzzaman, 51, failed to establish his claim of being forced by MACC officers to confess that politician Datuk Mohamad Norza Zakaria practised money politics.

Halimi contended that he was assaulted for refusing to confess.

High Court Judicial Com­missioner Lee Heng Cheong dismissed the negligence and assault claims with costs after hearing evidence from 11 witnesses.

He held that Halimi failed to prove that he was beaten during de­tention. His medical report did not state that he had bruises and mag­is­trate Suhailla Selaq had testified that Halimi was in good condition during the remand period.

Lee ruled that Halimi’s wit­nes­ses failed to corroborate his allegations of assault and ill-treatment by the MACC.

Senior Federal Counsel Azizan Md Arshad told reporters that Lee h­eld that Halimi’s welfare had been ta­­ken care of during detention as he was taken to a hospital for treat­­ment after he complained of not being well.

Azizan said the court has set May 31 to deliver the ruling on costs.

Halimi had, on Nov 4, 2009, filed the suit against MACC director-general, MACC officers Mohd Hasrol Hashim, Ramli Supaat and Azhar Ismail and the Government.

In his statement of claim, Halimi said he surrendered to the MACC’s Temerloh office at 6.30am on Jan 23, 2009 to assist in investigations relating to money politics.

He sought RM15mil in damages, RM2,214 in special damages and costs.

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share