News

Published: Saturday May 11, 2013 MYT 1:35:00 PM

Nine Malaysians get police warning for illegal gathering in Singapore


SINGAPORE: The authorities are reviewing the work and visit passes of nine Malaysians who were deemed to have “actively” participated in an illegal gathering at the Merlion Park on Wednesday, the police said on Friday.

In a media statement, the police added that their employers would be informed of the review and conditional warnings were issued to the individuals.

Apart from the nine who were warned, as many as 200 others were said to have taken part in the gathering, including MediaCorp actors Zhang Yaodong and Shaun Chen.

According to the Singaporean news portal TODAY, it is understood that the police have taken statements from them and investigations are continuing.

The gathering, where participants were dressed in black and held placards, was in response to a call on social media for Malaysians around the world to show solidarity with their countrymen.

It coincided with a massive rally held in Selangor organised by the opposition Pakatan Rakyat alliance to protest against alleged fraud-marred election results.

With the Malaysian Opposition pledging to hold more protest rallies, the Singapore police had earlier warned foreigners, including Malaysians, not to “import their domestic issues from their countries into Singapore and conduct activities which can disturb public order, as there can be groups with opposing views”.

“Those who break the law will be seriously dealt with. This may include termination of their work passes and visas,” the police said on Thursday, as it announced that an illegal protest planned for today at the Merlion Park had been cancelled after the authorities spoke to the organiser.

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share