Sunday May 12, 2013
GE13: Zin blames PR cybertroopers over disappointing performance in Selangor
By TEH ENG HOCK
enghock@thestar.com.my
SHAH ALAM: Barisan Nasional has attributed its disappointing performance in Selangor to the inability to counter allegations made by Pakatan Rakyat's cybertroopers, particularly those from the DAP.
“The cybertroopers have managed to convince young voters, particularly the Chinese and the urban folk, to vote against Barisan,” said Selangor Barisan coordinator Datuk Seri Mohd Zin Mohamed.
Speaking to reporters after meeting Selangor Barisan candidates, he said the level of rejection by Chinese voters was “shocking”, with only 5% to 15% of the community voting for the coalition.
“We had based our winning formula on getting 60% of Malay votes, 30% of Chinese votes and 60% of Indian votes,” he said, adding that they had done all they could to reach out to the Chinese and Indians.
On Malay support, he said Barisan received 70% to 75% in rural areas, 60% to 65% in semi-urban areas and 50% to 55% in urban areas.
“Barisan had the backing of 50% of Indians in rural areas and 35% to 45% in semi-urban and urban areas.
“The Indian votes were slightly improved (compared to 2008) but not as high as we expected.
“And unless we could get 25% of Chinese votes, we stand no chance. In some areas, it was as low as 5%.”
In seats where the Chinese made up between 20% and 30% of voters, Barisan won one parliamentary seat (Hulu Selangor) out of the four contested. Of the state seats with that racial composition, Barisan won four (Permatang, Kuang, Kota Damansara and Semenyih) out of 13 seats.
Where the Chinese comprised between 30% and 40% of the electorate, he said Barisan won one parliamentary seat (Sungai Besar) out of six, and lost all eight state seats.
Mohd Zin said Barisan failed to win any seat where Chinese made up more than 40% of the electorate.
“The only place we could survive was where the number of Chinese voters was below 20%,” he said.
Asked if there was also a rejection of Barisan by urban voters in Selangor, Mohd Zin said “yes”.
Based on popular votes, he said Barisan trailed Pakatan by nearly 400,000 votes, most of which were in the urban seats.
“The areas which we won are all in north Selangor, except for Dengkil where we have 70% of Malay support, and Kota Damansara and Semenyih because there were split votes (among the Opposition candidates),” he said.
Mohd Zin said there had been some internal sabotage during the campaigning but it was not a key factor in determining the outcome.
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Listeners share stories of a united nation

- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- New Sabah ministers get down to business
- Al-Arqam founder’s wife held
- Johor cops to act against organiser of planned Pakatan rally
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Najib has option of appointing Chinese ministers via Senate
- Seven lodge reports over vote-buying
- Laughter the best medicine for political rivalry, says club
- MCA man may be in Johor exco line-up
- Half of Negri Sembilan exco members to be new faces
- UK housing demand highest in 3-1/2 years
- Amazon buys Liquavista from Samsung, launches digital currency
- Wall Street ends near flat after recent highs
- Malaysia-Market factors to watch on May 14(Tuesday)
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering retail investors
- New record for Malaysian stocks
- No new oil palm on peatland debate hots up
- Analysts cautious on plantation sector
- Economists see softer Q1 GDP growth in M'sia
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- Leon Fuat IPO to raise RM36mil
- Puncak Niaga seeks approval for warrants, sukuk
- Malaysian bond yields likely to spike
- FBM KLCI ends at record high
- China IPOs likely to resume in July
- Jun Hoong-Wendy continue fine form with bronze in 3m springboard
- Peng Soon says he’s physically and mentally ready for the Sudirman Cup
- Coach Tat Meng hopes the women will rise to the occasion
- Wei Keat aims to make an impact in Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- Rugby team set sights on promotion to Division One
- High stakes as KLHC and Tenaga aim to make history
- Revington selects five more players but trims national squad
- Alia eager to test her skills against world’s best in Munich
- Shariffuddin over the moon after selection to 600cc
- Inconsistent outing for Nabil in Belgium
- Champ Vettel blames Red Bull staff as Mercedes’ Rosberg is mystified
- Woods silences Garcia after winning golf’s richest prize by two strokes
- Madrid winners Nadal and Serena are favourites at Roland Garros
- Federer and Murray not worried over gay players
- Bolt to race in Zurich
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- New Orleans police release photos of Mother's Day shooting suspect
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Canada deports Palestinian hijacker after 25-year legal battle
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Egyptian assembly approves higher taxes on the wealthy
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering retail investors
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- Couple upset over baby’s death
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Malaysia's I-Bhd and Thailand's CPN in mall joint venture with GDV of RM580mil
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- RM90,000 raised at ‘swimathon’
- From tomorrow, city cabbies can pick up passengers from KLIA
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet

