Sunday May 12, 2013
Confusion among Baram folk
By STEPHEN THEN
stephenthen@thestar.com.my
Victory tea: Dennis (centre) toasting Barisan's victory in Baram yesterday. MIRI: There is a lot of damage control to be done by Barisan Nasional in the Orang Ulu heartland of Baram, to clear up confusion among the people in the vast constituency following a bitter battle during last Sunday’s 13th general election.
Telang Usan assemblyman Dennis Ngau, who was the Barisan deputy election director for Baram during the polls, yesterday held a closed door meeting with leaders from the minority Orang Ulu ethnic groups to discuss issues that had surfaced during the polls.
Barisan’s Anyi Ngau was locked in a three-cornered fight with PKR’s Roland Engan and independent candidate Patrick Sibat Sujang. Anyi won by a very slim majority of 184 votes.
Dennis told The Star after the meeting that there was a need for Barisan to clear the air over many issues that had been widely publicised by the Opposition during their ceramah at longhouses and riverine settlements during the campaign period.
“We had a meeting to look at the various issues raised during the elections which we found had resulted in a lot of confusion among the people of Baram.
“Many of the sensitive issues raised by the Opposition had created more controversies among the people. I don’t want to elaborate on these sensitive issues yet because we are still trying to resolve them.
“All I can say today is that the Opposition had instigated the people emotionally using these issues and now we in Barisan must undo the damage and try to clear up these confusions,” he said.
“We don’t want the people of Baram to continue harbouring misconceptions and mistrust against the Barisan government. We want to counter the allegations by the Opposition and explain to them Barisan’s side of the story.
“Baram now has a new MP and there is a need for us in every Barisan component party — PBB, SPDP, PRS and SUPP — to help him garner the support of the Baram people,” he said after chairing the meeting with the three dozen community chiefs from longhouses and ethnic associations.
Dennis said he could not disclose the exact details of the meeting because some of the matters discussed were confidential and sensitive in nature.
However, he said that in general, Barisan was worried that the fierce attack by the Opposition had created many rifts among Baram folk.
“All I can say is that we in Baram faced unprecedented aggressive attacks by the Opposition on all fronts. Barisan must carry out new rounds of dialogues and meetings with interior folk to reconnect with them,” he stressed.
- Who will be the new IGP?
- Report: 21 Malaysians arrested in Singapore over GE13 protest out on bail
- William Yau inquest: No Chinese boy seen playing near jetty where body was found
- MIC chief Palanivel blasts call to abolish vernacular schools
- GE13: MCA allocated one seat in Johor state exco after special request by Sultan Ibrahim
- GE13: Johor police to take action against rally organisers
- GE13: Remove all campaign materials by Sunday or lose deposit, says EC
- Appeals Court holds election manifesto not legally enforceable
- Pakatan's post-GE13 rally in Kuantan illegal, says OCPD
- Stop the provocative post-GE13 rallies, says IGP Ismail Omar
- Kulasegaran lodges police report against pro-chancellor over vernacular schools remark
- Wife of Al-Arqam founder detained at KLIA (Update)
- Khalid has audience with Selangor Sultan, expected to be sworn in as Mentri Besar Tuesday
- GE13: Taxi driver fined RM1,000 for damaging BN flags
- GE13: PKR receives 237 complaints regarding alleged election irregularities
- Dollar rise hits oil, gold; euro sags on ECB cut bets
- Scomi Group secures RM98.5m Turkmenistan contract
- KLCI at fresh record close, on fund buying of banks, Tenaga
- Puncak Niaga to issue warrants, raise RM165m Sukuk
- Moody's: Core Chinese shadow banking products total 21 trillion renminbi
- I-Bhd, Thailand's Central Pattana to build shopping mall in iCity
- MISC falls in active trade
- Firm dollar hits oil, gold, shares; Nikkei scales new peak
- Allianz targets RM150m new business premiums this year
- Mah Sing's Meridin@Medini records pre-selection of RM261m (Update)
- Samsung racing towards downloading a whole movie in one second through super-fast 5G
- KLCI up nearly 14pts at midday (Update)
- RAM Ratings ups Menara ABS’s Sukuk outlook to stable
- Leon Fuat to raise RM35.58m from share sale (Update)
- AirAsia X eyes up to US$300m Malaysia IPO - term sheet
- Taiwanese fishermen burn Filipino flags in protest
- Yemen army jet crashes in Sanaa, pilot killed
- US scientist depressed and left suicide notes, Singapore public inquiry told
- Philippines holds elections vital for Aquino reforms
- Samsung announces 5G data breakthrough
- Police in US arrest 12-year-old for sister's murder
- Warming to hit half of plants, a third of animals
- 17 people shot at New Orleans parade: report
- Woods wins Players Championship
- Silver lining in Fort Lauderdale for Pandelela-Mun Yee
- Affendi ruled out with nerve injury
- Hubbard leads hot Dragons to another easy win
- Teenager Praveen a Clearcut winner at Bukit Kiara
- Shalin wants more victories before calling it a day next year
- Puvendran upsets top seed Alwin in U-17 final
- Second title for Ramdan in Europe
- Coach wants badminton doubles pairs to be battle ready
- Milo aim to go even further in developing Malaysian sports
- KLHC-Tenaga showdown once again
- Argentina and South Africa to play in Johor Baru
- Serena sweeps aside Sharapova to retain Madrid crown
- Nadal wins Madrid title for fifth triumph this year
- Maria confirms romance with Bulgarian Dimitrov
- Anwar: Adopt new Malaysian spirit
- Face the law, married or not
- GE13: PKR receives 237 complaints regarding alleged election irregularities
- Two men killed, two injured in Batu Kawan shooting
- Najib gets staunch support
- Time to end race-based governance
- I will respect and uphold Sultan’s decision, says Azmin
- City cabs can pick up KLIA passengers from Wednesday
- Karpal slams ‘vultures’ hovering around Chua
- Khalid to be sworn in as MB
- New SARS-like virus can probably pass person-to-person
- Nurul Izzah says not eyeing PKR presidency when mum steps down
- Coronavirus epidemic awaits, not certain to be severe - discoverer
- Merkel says has no secrets about her communist past
- Appeals court frees six backers of black-clad Egypt protest group
- Scomi Group secures RM98.5m Turkmenistan contract
- Who will be the new IGP?
- Italy's Letta urges ministers to avoid clashing in public
- Greek state workers to strike against teachers' walkout ban
- Brothers of Cleveland kidnap suspect say he was aloof for years - CNN

