News

Monday May 13, 2013

Protesters should face the music, says S’pore envoy


SINGAPORE: The protest here was illegal and those who knowingly organised and participated in such an illegal activity should face the consequences, said High Commissioner to Singapore Datuk Md Hussin Nayan.

“I hope Malaysians working or studying in Singapore will reflect more on their situation before acting illegally,” he said.

Md Hussin was responding to reports of the arrest of 21 Malaysians in the republic on Saturday.

According to media reports, Singapore police arrested 21 Malaysians after they were caught staging a protest at Merlion Park.

The arrest came after warnings were issued to nine Malaysians for “actively participating in the illegal gathering” at Merlion Park on Wednesday, where a crowd of about 100 people had gathered to protest against the recent Malaysian election results.

Md Hussin said Malaysians should learn to appreciate the positive aspects of life in their host country and return to contribute to the national reconciliation process in Malaysia after the 13th general election.

“Extremist and emotional reactions have no place in building a stable, prosperous and peaceful Malaysia,” he added.

Singapore police had earlier reiterated that such gatherings were against the law and foreigners working or living here would have to abide by the republic's laws.

“They should not import their domestic issues from their countries into Singapore and conduct activities which could disturb public order, as there can be groups with opposing views.

“Those who break the law will be seriously dealt with.” - Bernama

For more election stories, please visit The Star's GE13 site

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share