News

Published: Monday May 13, 2013 MYT 5:16:00 PM

Pakatan's post-GE13 rally in Kuantan illegal, says OCPD


KUANTAN: Pakatan Rakyat's post-general election rally here Tuesday night is illegal as the organisers have not notified the police according to the Public Assembly Act 2012.

"I urge the people not to be influenced by the actions of several individuals. We will take stern action against those who participate," said Kuantan OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Jasmani Yusoff.

The rally, to be held at the Mahkota Aman field, is to protest the results of the 13th general election.

PKR adviser Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, state PKR chairman Datuk Fauzi Abdul Rahman, PAS information chief Datuk Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man and Pahang DAP chairman Leong Ngah Ngah are expected to give speeches.

ACP Mohd Jasmani said police would monitor the situation and investigate for any seditious remarks made.

He said several police reports had been lodged by nearby residents fearing public disturbance.

"Besides not informing the police, the organisers have also failed to obtain permission from the owner of the venue, which is the Government. The jurisdiction over the field falls under the district officer," he said.

In JOHOR BARU, Johor police chief Datuk Mohd Mokhtar Mohd Shariff said no permit has been issued for the Pakatan Rakyat rally at Dataran Bandaraya scheduled for Wednesday.

"Representatives of the organiser came to the police station to apply for a permit for the rally on Saturday, but they were not issued with any permit as they failed to comply with the conditions under the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012, that is they should apply at least 10 days before the rally," he said. - Bernama

For more election stories, please visit The Star's GE13 site

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share