Published: Monday May 13, 2013 MYT 5:54:00 PM
Updated: Monday May 13, 2013 MYT 5:55:25 PM
Appeals Court holds election manifesto not legally enforceable
PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal held that an election manifesto is not legally enforceable.
Following this landmark ruling, the three-member panel led by Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus struck out a civil suit brought by a group of single mothers who were seeking RM10.9 million in allowances over the Selangor Government's alleged failure to fulfill its 2008 general election manifesto.
The panel, comprising Justices Datuk Abdul Aziz Abd Rahim and Datuk Mohamad Ariff Md Yusof, allowed the appeal by the Selangor Government and Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim to set aside a High Court's refusal to strike out the suit.
Justice Hishamudin agreed with the submission forwarded by lawyer A. Vishnu Kumar representing the Selangor Government and Mentri Besar that the manifesto was not a legally binding document.
Vishu had submitted that a person who was aggrieved over the non-fulfillment of an election manifesto cannot seek to enforce the manifesto.
Vishnu said their remedy was of a political one citing English court cases, including one by reknown judge Lord Denning who had pronounced that voters' remedy for non-fulfillment of election promises lies in the ballot box.
Justice Hishamuddin also accepted Vishu's argument that the group could not challenge the matter as their civil suit was filed out of time.
Earlier, Vishu had submitted that the group of 2,020 single mothers should have filed their civil suit within three years from March 2008 but they had filed the suit on Nov 23, last year.
The group led by the Selangor Single Mothers Association chairman Murtini Kasman Saman, were ordered to pay RM1,000 in legal costs to the Selangor government and Khalid.
The group filed the civil suit last year at the High Court in Shah Alam demanding a total of RM10.9mil in allowances due to them as promised by the Opposition pact in its 2008 election manifesto.
They had named the Selangor government, comprising PKR, PAS and DAP, as the first defendant and Menteri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim, who was the chief executive of the state, as the second defendant in the suit.
They claimed that the pact, after coming into power in the state following the election, kept its promise of coming up with a free water scheme and a RM1,000 reward to each Selangor student who gained admission to university, but reneged on the promise of giving allowances to single mothers in the state.
As such, they demanded that the 2,020 women be paid single mothers' allowance of RM100 a month for 54 months (from April 1, 2008 to Oct 30, 2012), which totals RM10.9mil, and sought costs and other relief deemed fit by the court.
On Dec 12, 2011, the Selangor government and Khalid filed an application to strike out the suit.
On Jan 23, this year, the High Court dismissed their (Selangor government and Khalid) application to strike out the suit and ordered the case to go for a trial.
Lawyer Walter Pereira representing the single mothers submitted that the promises in the manifesto had been translated into a contract. - Bernama
- Who will be the new IGP?
- Report: 21 Malaysians arrested in Singapore over GE13 protest out on bail
- William Yau inquest: No Chinese boy seen playing near jetty where body was found
- MIC chief Palanivel blasts call to abolish vernacular schools
- GE13: MCA allocated one seat in Johor state exco after special request by Sultan Ibrahim
- GE13: Johor police to take action against rally organisers
- GE13: Remove all campaign materials by Sunday or lose deposit, says EC
- Appeals Court holds election manifesto not legally enforceable
- Pakatan's post-GE13 rally in Kuantan illegal, says OCPD
- Stop the provocative post-GE13 rallies, says IGP Ismail Omar
- Kulasegaran lodges police report against pro-chancellor over vernacular schools remark
- Wife of Al-Arqam founder detained at KLIA (Update)
- Khalid has audience with Selangor Sultan, expected to be sworn in as Mentri Besar Tuesday
- GE13: Taxi driver fined RM1,000 for damaging BN flags
- GE13: PKR receives 237 complaints regarding alleged election irregularities
- Dollar rise hits oil, gold; euro sags on ECB cut bets
- Scomi Group secures RM98.5m Turkmenistan contract
- KLCI at fresh record close, on fund buying of banks, Tenaga
- Puncak Niaga to issue warrants, raise RM165m Sukuk
- Moody's: Core Chinese shadow banking products total 21 trillion renminbi
- I-Bhd, Thailand's Central Pattana to build shopping mall in iCity
- MISC falls in active trade
- Firm dollar hits oil, gold, shares; Nikkei scales new peak
- Allianz targets RM150m new business premiums this year
- Mah Sing's Meridin@Medini records pre-selection of RM261m (Update)
- Samsung racing towards downloading a whole movie in one second through super-fast 5G
- KLCI up nearly 14pts at midday (Update)
- RAM Ratings ups Menara ABS’s Sukuk outlook to stable
- Leon Fuat to raise RM35.58m from share sale (Update)
- AirAsia X eyes up to US$300m Malaysia IPO - term sheet
- Taiwanese fishermen burn Filipino flags in protest
- Yemen army jet crashes in Sanaa, pilot killed
- US scientist depressed and left suicide notes, Singapore public inquiry told
- Philippines holds elections vital for Aquino reforms
- Samsung announces 5G data breakthrough
- Police in US arrest 12-year-old for sister's murder
- Warming to hit half of plants, a third of animals
- 17 people shot at New Orleans parade: report
- Woods wins Players Championship
- Silver lining in Fort Lauderdale for Pandelela-Mun Yee
- Affendi ruled out with nerve injury
- Hubbard leads hot Dragons to another easy win
- Teenager Praveen a Clearcut winner at Bukit Kiara
- Shalin wants more victories before calling it a day next year
- Puvendran upsets top seed Alwin in U-17 final
- Second title for Ramdan in Europe
- Coach wants badminton doubles pairs to be battle ready
- Milo aim to go even further in developing Malaysian sports
- KLHC-Tenaga showdown once again
- Argentina and South Africa to play in Johor Baru
- Serena sweeps aside Sharapova to retain Madrid crown
- Nadal wins Madrid title for fifth triumph this year
- Maria confirms romance with Bulgarian Dimitrov
- Anwar: Adopt new Malaysian spirit
- Face the law, married or not
- GE13: PKR receives 237 complaints regarding alleged election irregularities
- Two men killed, two injured in Batu Kawan shooting
- Najib gets staunch support
- Time to end race-based governance
- I will respect and uphold Sultan’s decision, says Azmin
- City cabs can pick up KLIA passengers from Wednesday
- Karpal slams ‘vultures’ hovering around Chua
- Khalid to be sworn in as MB
- New SARS-like virus can probably pass person-to-person
- Nurul Izzah says not eyeing PKR presidency when mum steps down
- Coronavirus epidemic awaits, not certain to be severe - discoverer
- Merkel says has no secrets about her communist past
- Appeals court frees six backers of black-clad Egypt protest group
- Scomi Group secures RM98.5m Turkmenistan contract
- Who will be the new IGP?
- Italy's Letta urges ministers to avoid clashing in public
- Greek state workers to strike against teachers' walkout ban
- Brothers of Cleveland kidnap suspect say he was aloof for years - CNN

