News

Published: Monday May 13, 2013 MYT 10:37:00 PM
Updated: Monday May 13, 2013 MYT 10:38:06 PM

Report: 21 Malaysians arrested in Singapore over GE13 protest out on bail


PETALING JAYA: The 21 Malaysians who were arrested on Saturday for staging a protest over the May 5 general election results at the Merlion Park have been released on bail, according to The Straits Times.

The daily understands that investigations are still ongoing. It is not known when they were released, how much bail had been set at, or whether their work and visit passes will be reviewed.

Singapore police have issued a strong statement which said that foreigners have to abide by Singapore's laws.

"They should not import their domestic issues from their countries into Singapore and conduct activities which can disturb public order. Those who break the law will be seriously dealt with," a police spokesman said in the statement.

The arrests came after nine Malaysians had been warned for protesting in a similar illegal gathering last Wednesday, also held at the Merlion Park. The police said the work and visit passes of the nine were being reviewed by the authorities.

Malaysian High Commissioner to Singapore Datuk Md Hussin Nayan has said that the protest was illegal and those who knowingly organised and participated in such an illegal activity should face the consequences.

"I hope Malaysians working or studying in Singapore will reflect more on their situation before acting illegally," he said.

Related Stories:
GE13: Break Singaporean laws and face consequences, says Malaysian High Commissioner
Singapore cops take action against Malaysians over rallies
Nine Malaysians get police warning for illegal gathering in Singapore

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share