Monday May 13, 2013
Make Sarawak, Sabah prominent in school history books, Federal Gov’t urged
By STEPHEN THEN
stephenthen@thestar.com.my
MIRI: The Federal Cabinet that is to be formed soon has been urged to make it a top priority to amend the history books used in school so that they clearly reflect the fact that Sarawak and Sabah had again been pivotal in helping Barisan Nasional return to power at the federal level.
Rurum Kelabit Association chairman for Miri Division, Dick Bala, in suggesting this yesterday, said that it must be clearly printed that Sarawak and Sabah had during the 12th and 13th General Elections were the two states that had provided Barisan at the national level with the critical seats to form the Federal Government.
Yesterday, he told The Star that the Orang Ulu felt that this fact had not been full known and appreciated by the people in the peninsula because they had not been made aware of it, even though it had been the reality after two consecutive general elections.
“The current history books have not given enough due credit to Sarawak and Sabah for their enormous roles in national deve-lopment and this had not been corrected.
“Until today, the history books used by our students contain very little mention about Sarawak and Sabah. It is high time that the Federal Cabinet correct this.
“In the just-concluded 13th general election, Barisan could not have regained power at the national level had it not been for the crucial seats delivered by Sarawak and Sabah.
“This must be included as a chapter in the history books so that students are aware of how much the east Malaysian states had contributed to national development.
“These latest facts must be also included as a topic in general studies and in other forums of discussions in school and universities,” he said in an interview.
Bala, who graduated from a peninsula-based university several years ago, said that even during his days in school and university, topics about Sarawak and Sabah were not emphasised.
He questioned why it had taken so long for the Ministry of Education to correct this lacking.
Bala urged all the Sarawakian MPs who had been elected to fight for this cause.
Datuk Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar, who is a former Dewan Rakyat deputy speaker, when asked for his comments on Bala’s suggestions yesterday said it was indeed true that Sarawak and Sabah had been at the forefront of helping Barisan form the Federal Government.
“To amend the history book to include these facts is not a simple process. There are various procedures that must be followed.
“Of course, this is something we must continue to fight for. However, as it is right now, we are still not sure what the roles that Sarawakian MPs and Sabahan MPs will be in the Federal Cabinet.
“If Sarawakian and Sabahan MPs hold key posts in the Federal Cabinet, we may be able to have a greater say,” he said.
Junaidi, who is Santubong MP and a supreme council member of PBB, said he was not sure when the Dewan Rakyat would convene its first sitting of its new term as no notice had been served to the MPs yet.
There is also no clue as to when Prime Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Tun Razak will form his new Cabinet.
- Who will be the new IGP?
- Report: 21 Malaysians arrested in Singapore over GE13 protest out on bail
- William Yau inquest: No Chinese boy seen playing near jetty where body was found
- MIC chief Palanivel blasts call to abolish vernacular schools
- GE13: MCA allocated one seat in Johor state exco after special request by Sultan Ibrahim
- GE13: Johor police to take action against rally organisers
- GE13: Remove all campaign materials by Sunday or lose deposit, says EC
- Appeals Court holds election manifesto not legally enforceable
- Pakatan's post-GE13 rally in Kuantan illegal, says OCPD
- Stop the provocative post-GE13 rallies, says IGP Ismail Omar
- Kulasegaran lodges police report against pro-chancellor over vernacular schools remark
- Wife of Al-Arqam founder detained at KLIA (Update)
- Khalid has audience with Selangor Sultan, expected to be sworn in as Mentri Besar Tuesday
- GE13: Taxi driver fined RM1,000 for damaging BN flags
- GE13: PKR receives 237 complaints regarding alleged election irregularities
- Dollar rise hits oil, gold; euro sags on ECB cut bets
- Scomi Group secures RM98.5m Turkmenistan contract
- KLCI at fresh record close, on fund buying of banks, Tenaga
- Puncak Niaga to issue warrants, raise RM165m Sukuk
- Moody's: Core Chinese shadow banking products total 21 trillion renminbi
- I-Bhd, Thailand's Central Pattana to build shopping mall in iCity
- MISC falls in active trade
- Firm dollar hits oil, gold, shares; Nikkei scales new peak
- Allianz targets RM150m new business premiums this year
- Mah Sing's Meridin@Medini records pre-selection of RM261m (Update)
- Samsung racing towards downloading a whole movie in one second through super-fast 5G
- KLCI up nearly 14pts at midday (Update)
- RAM Ratings ups Menara ABS’s Sukuk outlook to stable
- Leon Fuat to raise RM35.58m from share sale (Update)
- AirAsia X eyes up to US$300m Malaysia IPO - term sheet
- Taiwanese fishermen burn Filipino flags in protest
- Yemen army jet crashes in Sanaa, pilot killed
- US scientist depressed and left suicide notes, Singapore public inquiry told
- Philippines holds elections vital for Aquino reforms
- Samsung announces 5G data breakthrough
- Police in US arrest 12-year-old for sister's murder
- Warming to hit half of plants, a third of animals
- 17 people shot at New Orleans parade: report
- Woods wins Players Championship
- Silver lining in Fort Lauderdale for Pandelela-Mun Yee
- Affendi ruled out with nerve injury
- Hubbard leads hot Dragons to another easy win
- Teenager Praveen a Clearcut winner at Bukit Kiara
- Shalin wants more victories before calling it a day next year
- Puvendran upsets top seed Alwin in U-17 final
- Second title for Ramdan in Europe
- Coach wants badminton doubles pairs to be battle ready
- Milo aim to go even further in developing Malaysian sports
- KLHC-Tenaga showdown once again
- Argentina and South Africa to play in Johor Baru
- Serena sweeps aside Sharapova to retain Madrid crown
- Nadal wins Madrid title for fifth triumph this year
- Maria confirms romance with Bulgarian Dimitrov
- Anwar: Adopt new Malaysian spirit
- Face the law, married or not
- GE13: PKR receives 237 complaints regarding alleged election irregularities
- Two men killed, two injured in Batu Kawan shooting
- Najib gets staunch support
- Time to end race-based governance
- I will respect and uphold Sultan’s decision, says Azmin
- City cabs can pick up KLIA passengers from Wednesday
- Karpal slams ‘vultures’ hovering around Chua
- Khalid to be sworn in as MB
- New SARS-like virus can probably pass person-to-person
- Nurul Izzah says not eyeing PKR presidency when mum steps down
- Coronavirus epidemic awaits, not certain to be severe - discoverer
- Merkel says has no secrets about her communist past
- Appeals court frees six backers of black-clad Egypt protest group
- Scomi Group secures RM98.5m Turkmenistan contract
- Who will be the new IGP?
- Italy's Letta urges ministers to avoid clashing in public
- Greek state workers to strike against teachers' walkout ban
- Brothers of Cleveland kidnap suspect say he was aloof for years - CNN

