News

Monday May 13, 2013

Navy ships to continue patrolling Sabah’s east shoreline


SIBU: The Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) will continue to patrol the waters off Sabah’s east coast although the Eastern Sabah Security Command, which is overseeing the overall security in the area, has started its operations.

Region Two Navy Commander Rear Admiral Datuk Pahlawan Mohammad Rosland Omar said the RMN was working closely with the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA), the Marine Operations Force and the Royal Malaysian Air Force in patrolling the coastline.

“As the Philippines will be holding its election today, we must continue to be vigilant for any eventuality.

“We must not let our guard down although the situation in Sabah’s east coast has returned to normal,” he said after opening the Sarawak Royal Malaysian Navy Ex-Servicemen’s Association’s fifth annual general meeting here yesterday.

Rosland said Sabah’s waters were guarded by 500 naval personnel, a three-fold increase from the previous strength, while the number of vessels had been increased from three to 10 ships and interceptor boats.

At the event, Rosland presented the ‘Pingat Jasa Malaysia’ to 11 veteran naval personnel. — Bernama

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share