Monday, May 13, 2013
New SARS-like virus can probably pass person-to-person
By Angus McDowall
RIYADH (Reuters) - World Health Organisation (WHO) officials said on Sunday it seemed likely a new coronavirus that has killed at least 18 people in the Middle East and Europe could be passed between humans, but only after prolonged contact.
Keiji Fukuda, assistant director-general for Health Security and Environment of World Health Organization (WHO), answers a question from the media during a news conference in Shanghai April 22, 2013. REUTERS/Carlos Barria |
A virus from the same family triggered the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) that swept the world after emerging in Asia and killed 775 people in 2003.
On Sunday French authorities announced that a second man had been diagnosed with the disease after sharing a hospital room with France's only other sufferer.
WHO Assistant Director-General Keiji Fukuda told reporters in Saudi Arabia, the site of the largest cluster of infections, there was no evidence so far the virus was able to sustain "generalised transmission in communities" - a scenario that would raise the spectre of a pandemic.
But he added: "Of most concern ... is the fact that the different clusters seen in multiple countries ... increasingly support the hypothesis that when there is close contact, this novel coronavirus can transmit from person to person.
"There is a need for countries to ... increase levels of awareness," he said.
A public health expert who declined to be identified, said "close contact" meant being in the same small, enclosed space with an infected person for a prolonged period.
The virus first emerged in the Gulf last year, but cases have also been recorded in Britain and France among people who had recently been in the Middle East. A total of 34 cases worldwide have been confirmed by blood tests so far.
NEW DEATHS
Saudi Deputy Health Minister for Public Health Ziad Memish told reporters that, of 15 confirmed cases in the most recent outbreak, in al-Ahsa district of Eastern Province, nine had died, two more than previously reported.
Saudi Arabia's Health Ministry said in a statement the country had had 24 confirmed cases since last summer, of whom 15 had died. Fukuda said he was not sure if the two newly reported Saudi deaths were included in the numbers confirmed by the WHO.
Memish added that three suspected cases in Saudi Arabia were still under investigation, including previous negative results that were being re-examined.
The first French patient was confirmed as suffering from the disease on Wednesday after travelling in the Gulf. The second patient was transferred to intensive care on Sunday after the two men shared a room in a hospital in Lille.
Professor Benoit Guery, head of the Lille hospital's infectious diseases unit, said the first patient had not been immediately isolated because he presented "quite atypical" symptoms.
He added in comments broadcast by BFMTV channel the case suggested that airborne transmission of the virus was possible, though still unusual, and that the public "should not be concerned" as there had been only 34 cases globally in a year.
Fukuda, part of a WHO team visiting Saudi Arabia to investigate the spread of the disease, said although no specific vaccine or medication was yet available for novel coronavirus, patients were responding to treatment.
"The care that is taken in the hospitals, in terms of using respirators well, in terms of treating pneumonia, in terms of treating complications, in terms of providing support, these steps can get patients through this very severe illness," he said.
Fukuda said that as far as he knew all cases in the latest outbreak in al-Ahsa district were directly or indirectly linked to one hospital.
He added that Saudi Arabian authorities had taken novel coronavirus very seriously and had initiated necessary health measures such as increased surveillance systems.
(The story removes erroneous reference to deaths in France, para 8)
(Additional reporting by Nicolas Delame in Paris; Editing by William Maclean and Andrew Roche)
Copyright © 2013 Reuters
- Who will be the new IGP?
- Report: 21 Malaysians arrested in Singapore over GE13 protest out on bail
- William Yau inquest: No Chinese boy seen playing near jetty where body was found
- MIC chief Palanivel blasts call to abolish vernacular schools
- GE13: MCA allocated one seat in Johor state exco after special request by Sultan Ibrahim
- GE13: Johor police to take action against rally organisers
- GE13: Remove all campaign materials by Sunday or lose deposit, says EC
- Appeals Court holds election manifesto not legally enforceable
- Pakatan's post-GE13 rally in Kuantan illegal, says OCPD
- Stop the provocative post-GE13 rallies, says IGP Ismail Omar
- Kulasegaran lodges police report against pro-chancellor over vernacular schools remark
- Wife of Al-Arqam founder detained at KLIA (Update)
- Khalid has audience with Selangor Sultan, expected to be sworn in as Mentri Besar Tuesday
- GE13: Taxi driver fined RM1,000 for damaging BN flags
- GE13: PKR receives 237 complaints regarding alleged election irregularities
- Dollar rise hits oil, gold; euro sags on ECB cut bets
- Scomi Group secures RM98.5m Turkmenistan contract
- KLCI at fresh record close, on fund buying of banks, Tenaga
- Puncak Niaga to issue warrants, raise RM165m Sukuk
- Moody's: Core Chinese shadow banking products total 21 trillion renminbi
- I-Bhd, Thailand's Central Pattana to build shopping mall in iCity
- MISC falls in active trade
- Firm dollar hits oil, gold, shares; Nikkei scales new peak
- Allianz targets RM150m new business premiums this year
- Mah Sing's Meridin@Medini records pre-selection of RM261m (Update)
- Samsung racing towards downloading a whole movie in one second through super-fast 5G
- KLCI up nearly 14pts at midday (Update)
- RAM Ratings ups Menara ABS’s Sukuk outlook to stable
- Leon Fuat to raise RM35.58m from share sale (Update)
- AirAsia X eyes up to US$300m Malaysia IPO - term sheet
- Taiwanese fishermen burn Filipino flags in protest
- Yemen army jet crashes in Sanaa, pilot killed
- US scientist depressed and left suicide notes, Singapore public inquiry told
- Philippines holds elections vital for Aquino reforms
- Samsung announces 5G data breakthrough
- Police in US arrest 12-year-old for sister's murder
- Warming to hit half of plants, a third of animals
- 17 people shot at New Orleans parade: report
- Woods wins Players Championship
- Silver lining in Fort Lauderdale for Pandelela-Mun Yee
- Affendi ruled out with nerve injury
- Hubbard leads hot Dragons to another easy win
- Teenager Praveen a Clearcut winner at Bukit Kiara
- Shalin wants more victories before calling it a day next year
- Puvendran upsets top seed Alwin in U-17 final
- Second title for Ramdan in Europe
- Coach wants badminton doubles pairs to be battle ready
- Milo aim to go even further in developing Malaysian sports
- KLHC-Tenaga showdown once again
- Argentina and South Africa to play in Johor Baru
- Serena sweeps aside Sharapova to retain Madrid crown
- Nadal wins Madrid title for fifth triumph this year
- Maria confirms romance with Bulgarian Dimitrov
- Anwar: Adopt new Malaysian spirit
- Face the law, married or not
- GE13: PKR receives 237 complaints regarding alleged election irregularities
- Two men killed, two injured in Batu Kawan shooting
- Najib gets staunch support
- Time to end race-based governance
- I will respect and uphold Sultan’s decision, says Azmin
- City cabs can pick up KLIA passengers from Wednesday
- Karpal slams ‘vultures’ hovering around Chua
- Khalid to be sworn in as MB
- New SARS-like virus can probably pass person-to-person
- Nurul Izzah says not eyeing PKR presidency when mum steps down
- Coronavirus epidemic awaits, not certain to be severe - discoverer
- Merkel says has no secrets about her communist past
- Appeals court frees six backers of black-clad Egypt protest group
- Scomi Group secures RM98.5m Turkmenistan contract
- Who will be the new IGP?
- Italy's Letta urges ministers to avoid clashing in public
- Greek state workers to strike against teachers' walkout ban
- Brothers of Cleveland kidnap suspect say he was aloof for years - CNN

