News

Tuesday May 14, 2013

Motorists reminded to give way to pedestrians to prevent any mishap

By FARAH FAZANNA ZULZAHA
farahfazanna@thestar.com.my


Safety stripes: Salleh (in white) and Tam (second from left) painting the zebra crossing near the Puduraya Sentral at the launch of the campaign. Safety stripes: Salleh (in white) and Tam (second from left) painting the zebra crossing near the Puduraya Sentral at the launch of the campaign.

ROAD Safety Department (JKJR) director-general Datuk Tam Weng Wah said motorists should give way to pedestrians, especially at zebra crossings, to prevent any mishap.

“Many often do not do this, putting pedestrians, who face a higher rate of getting hurt, at risk,” said Tam at the launch of the National Pedestrian Road Safety 2013 campaign at the Urban Transformation Centre Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

He said statistics compiled by the Royal Malaysian Police showed that the death rate from January to March this year had decreased by 2.81% compared to the same period last year.

“I hope the rate will continue to decrease, especially with the campaign launched to create awareness among road users,” said Tam.

He added that between 2003 and 2012, the percentage of death involving pedestrians was 9%. Statistics showed more children were affected, with a total of 128 killed in 2011 alone.

“Children should be taught about safety measures when crossing roads, especially in busy areas,” he said.

Tam said motorists were legally bound to provide the right of way to pedestrians.

Errant motorists can be fined up to RM300 per offence, under Section 75 of the Road Transport Act.

The Act also subjects pedestrians to the same penalty if they cross a road within 100m of an overhead bridge or zebra crossing, or if they are caught jaywalking.

Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) director-general Datuk Salleh Yusup said pedestrians must use the facilities made available to them, such as the pedestrian bridge and zebra crossing to avoid any mishap.

“They must also cross the road at the designated place, for their own safety,” he said, adding that DBKL would build more pedestrian bridges where necessary.

The campaign, to be held until May 19, is held in conjunction with the second United Nations Global Road Safety Week.

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share

Source: