Tuesday May 14, 2013
Facebook users risk being blackmailed by seductive strangers
By ISABELLE LAI
isabellelai@thestar.com.my
KUALA LUMPUR: Facebook users should be aware of the risks they are taking when they exchange nude photographs of themselves with strangers they befriend online.
This is because they can be blackmailed, warned MCA Public Services and Complaints Department chief Datuk Seri Michael Chong.
Since 2011, Chong has come across 15 such cases where the victims fell for the charms of stunning or handsome strangers – and ended up losing tens of thousands of ringgit.
He said the modus operandi of these blackmailers included indecent video calls where both sides would go “bare naked”.
However, only the victim’s face can clearly be seen in the video.
“Then, the extortion happens. The victims will receive threats that their photos will be revealed to family members and friends if they don’t pay up,” he told reporters at Wisma MCA here yesterday.
Chong noted that all the victims he had received reports from were in their 20s. They comprised seven women and eight men.
He said one victim had already paid RM30,000 before reporting the case to him.
A few of them took the drastic action of packing up and leaving the country to escape the nightmare.
Chong revealed that the latest victim was a 26-year-old man called Tan, who befriended a “Singaporean” beauty on Facebook last month.
He said the woman, who called herself Nathalia Agcadi, had repeatedly asked Tan to communicate with her via video on Skype.
“On May 9, the complainant accepted the video call and she appeared topless. Later on, she showed the lower part of her body,” he said, adding that Tan was wise enough not to return the favour.
Nevertheless, Tan was blackmailed the next day.
Nathalia threatened to upload a naked photo of him and forward it to his girlfriend and family members’ Facebook accounts if he did not transfer RM4,000 to a bank account in Manila, Philippines.
Chong said Tan believed the photo had been doctored, adding that this was also one of the methods employed by the blackmailers.
He advised victims not to pay up and to lodge reports with the police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission.
- 154 police reports lodged against Pakatan rallies
- Tee sworn in as Johor state exco, despite MCA decision not to accept govt posts
- NGOs lodge report against planned Pakatan rally in Johor
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Khalid sworn in as Selangor MB
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Listeners share stories of a united nation

- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- New Sabah ministers get down to business
- Al-Arqam founder’s wife held
- Johor cops to act against organiser of planned Pakatan rally
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Asian shares mostly rise, dollar takes breather
- Navis invests in Singapore's electronic waste company
- Moody's: Malaysia's economy grew 5.7% in Q1
- CSC Steel hits high of RM1.45 after firmer earnings
- Trading in I-Bhd halted after MoU inked for RM580m mall
- Verizon Wireless to pay surprise US$7bil dividend
- Emails show lobbyists, not insiders, underpinned U.S. market-moving report
- KLCI eases in early trade, Sime, Genting weigh
- Trading ideas: MMC, Malton, Scomi
- RHB Research maintains Buy on Gamuda, FV RM5.45
- Glass Lewis: Goldman shareholders should vote no on compensation
- UK housing demand highest in 3-1/2 years
- Affin Research maintains Buy, TP RM3.70
- Amazon buys Liquavista from Samsung, launches digital currency
- Wall Street ends near flat after recent highs
- U.S. TV psychologist Joyce Brothers dies at age 85
- Panic grips Saudis as toll rises from SARS-like virus
- DiCaprio environmental art auction tops $33 million
- Three astronauts return to Earth after ISS mission
- Minnesota becomes 12th US state with gay marriage
- Taiwanese fishermen burn Filipino flags in protest
- Ice wall crashes into Canada cottages
- Zhang, Ding out to defend World titles in Paris
- Jun Hoong-Wendy continue fine form with bronze in 3m springboard
- Peng Soon says he’s physically and mentally ready for the Sudirman Cup
- Coach Tat Meng hopes the women will rise to the occasion
- Wei Keat aims to make an impact in Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- Rugby team set sights on promotion to Division One
- High stakes as KLHC and Tenaga aim to make history
- Revington selects five more players but trims national squad
- Alia eager to test her skills against world’s best in Munich
- Shariffuddin over the moon after selection to 600cc
- Inconsistent outing for Nabil in Belgium
- Champ Vettel blames Red Bull staff as Mercedes’ Rosberg is mystified
- Woods silences Garcia after winning golf’s richest prize by two strokes
- Madrid winners Nadal and Serena are favourites at Roland Garros
- Federer and Murray not worried over gay players
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Go see your reps first, says Chong
- Facebook users risk being blackmailed by seductive strangers
- Duo shot dead after wedding party
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Allianz aims for RM150mil in new premiums
- Couple upset over baby’s death
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Malaysia's I-Bhd and Thailand's CPN in mall joint venture with GDV of RM580mil
- From tomorrow, city cabbies can pick up passengers from KLIA
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet

