News

Published: Tuesday May 14, 2013 MYT 12:59:00 PM
Updated: Tuesday May 14, 2013 MYT 1:02:16 PM

Actress Wan Nor Azlin and dad in legal tussle over possession of house

By M. MAGESWARI


KUALA LUMPUR: Actress Wan Nor Azlin is being sued by her father Wan Mohd Husain Wan Ibrahim over vacant possession of a terrace house in Taman Sri Keramat.

High Court judge Justice Rosilah Yop set May 31 to deliver her decision on an application by the 45-year-old actress to strike out the claim.

Her lawyer Nuraini Atiqah Abdul Aziz said Tuesday they were seeking to strike out the claim on grounds that the civil court has no jurisdiction to hear the dispute over the property.

"We say it comes under the Syariah jurisdiction," said Nuraini, who appeared with co-counsel Mohd Rizal Bahari.

In his lawsuit, Wan Mohd Husain, 76, said he had lived in the house with his wife until she passed away in 2008, after which he had invited his daughter to stay with him.

He said Wan Nor Azlin never paid any bills or monthly rental during her stay with him.

He claimed he had informed Wan Nor Azlin in mid-2011 that he wished to sell the house and that she had to vacate the house for easier transaction of the property.

However, Wan Mohd Husain said Wan Nor Azlin failed to move out and claimed she had an interest in the house as she had installed a kitchen cabinet and wardrobe there.

He said Wan Nor Azlin had destroyed adverstisement on the sale of the house and disturbed potential buyers who came to view the house, in her bid to halt any sale transaction.

Apart from that, he said Wan Nor Azlin had also obtained a private caveat over the house on Oct 12, 2011, which was later removed, causing him to sign a sale-and-purchase agreement with a third party last year.

He said on Jan 30 this year, he was informed by a law firm that the payment for the house could not be released by the bank as there was a second caveat on the house.

He said he could not enjoy his rights as the registered owner of the house and suffered losses due to his daughter's actions.

His lawsuit filed on Feb 8 claimed that he was traumatised and had to rent a house.

Among others, he sought an order from the High Court for vacant possesion of the house, damages and costs.

Meanwhile, in Wan Nor Azlin's application filed on March 21, the actress sought a declaration that the civil court had no jurisdiction to decide over the house, which was being disputed at the Syariah court.

Wan Nor Azlin asked to set aside the claim, saying there was an injunction issued by Shah Alam Syariah High Court to stop any disposal of the house.

Nuraini said the judge had ordered the actress to file the defence statement by Wednesday.

It was reported that the actress has been targeted by loan sharks after her husband allegedly failed to repay a loan.

Wan Nor Azlin, who won the Seri Angkasa Award for best drama actress for her role in Takbir Untuk Abdah in 2001, has starred in more than 200 drama and theatre productions.

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share