Tuesday May 14, 2013
Panic grips Saudis as toll rises from SARS-like virus
RIYADH: Panic has gripped Saudis in the country's east, where most cases of the deadly coronavirus have been detected, witnesses said, as the death toll from the SARS-like virus in the kingdom hits 15.
Scores of people have reported to the emergency services at hospitals in the city of Al-Ahsa in Eastern Province after showing even the slightest signs of a fever.
"I felt the symptoms of a cold, accompanied by a fever," a young man told AFP by telephone on Monday from one hospital where he was admitted and placed in quarantine.
"I came to hospital. The symptoms disappeared by the end of the day, but I am still kept in a quarantine with other patients, which scares me," he said, asking to remain anonymous.
Anyone showing possible symptoms of the virus after being admitted to hospitals in Al-Ahsa region had been placed in isolation, Saudi authorities said.
Fifteen of the 24 people who have contracted the coronavirus in Saudi Arabia since August have died, Health Minister Abdullah al-Rabia said on Sunday.
A total of 13 cases have been detected in the King Fahd hospital, in Al-Ahsa. Among those was a nine-year-old girl who died a few hours after arriving at hospital with a strong fever.
Another fatality was Haidar Ghanem, a disabled 21-year-old man who had a "strong fever" for a week, according to his father Mokhtar. He died last Thursday, four days after being admitted to hospital after falling unconscious.
The minister said on Sunday that three new suspected cases had been identified.
In all, 34 cases have been reported worldwide since the virus was first detected in September 2012, with 18 of the victims dying, according to the World Heath Organization.
While the virus has been deadliest in Saudi Arabia, cases have also been reported in Jordan, Germany, Britain and France where two patients are now in hospital in the northern city of Lille.
The virus is a cousin of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which triggered a scare 10 years ago when it erupted in east Asia, leaping to humans from animal hosts and eventually killing some 800 people.
In France, two people have contracted the virus, including one who on Sunday was moved to intensive care after his condition deteriorated.
He is believed to have been infected after sharing a hospital ward with a 65-year-old man, who was later diagnosed with the virus thought to have been contracted while he was on holiday in Dubai last month.
The WHO urged people in France to stay calm and not overburden hospitals to allow for proper treatment of those actually infected with the virus.
"There have only been less than a handful of cases in France so far... The chances are very small that anyone in France has this disease," WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl told AFP.
However Keiji Fakuda, WHO's assistant director general for health security and environment, told a Riyadh news conference on Sunday the new virus posed an "important and major challenge" for countries affected and for the world generally.
He said experts were still grappling to understand all aspects of the virus and how humans become infected, stressing, however, that "this new virus is not the SARS virus."
"This is a new infection and there are also many gaps in our knowledge that will inevitably take time to fill in," a WHO statement cited Fukuda as saying.-AFP
- Actress Wan Nor Azlin and dad in legal tussle over possession of house
- Customs man nabbed over bribe inducement
- NGO group demands resignation of EC members over alleged poll irregularities
- 154 police reports lodged against Pakatan rallies
- Tee sworn in as Johor state exco, despite MCA decision not to accept govt posts
- NGOs lodge report against planned Pakatan rally in Johor
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Khalid sworn in as Selangor MB
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Listeners share stories of a united nation

- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- New Sabah ministers get down to business
- Malaysia in demand with investors
- IOI Corp injects property biz into new entity for RM9.76bil under demerger
- Asian shares mostly rise, dollar takes breather
- Navis invests in Singapore's electronic waste company
- Moody's: Malaysia's economy grew 5.7% in Q1
- CSC Steel hits high of RM1.45 after firmer earnings
- Trading in I-Bhd halted after MoU inked for RM580m mall
- Verizon Wireless to pay surprise US$7bil dividend
- Emails show lobbyists, not insiders, underpinned U.S. market-moving report
- KLCI eases in early trade, Sime, Genting weigh
- Trading ideas: MMC, Malton, Scomi
- RHB Research maintains Buy on Gamuda, FV RM5.45
- Glass Lewis: Goldman shareholders should vote no on compensation
- UK housing demand highest in 3-1/2 years
- Affin Research maintains Buy, TP RM3.70
- U.S. TV psychologist Joyce Brothers dies at age 85
- Panic grips Saudis as toll rises from SARS-like virus
- DiCaprio environmental art auction tops $33 million
- Three astronauts return to Earth after ISS mission
- Minnesota becomes 12th US state with gay marriage
- Taiwanese fishermen burn Filipino flags in protest
- Ice wall crashes into Canada cottages
- Zhang, Ding out to defend World titles in Paris
- Jun Hoong-Wendy continue fine form with bronze in 3m springboard
- Peng Soon says he’s physically and mentally ready for the Sudirman Cup
- Coach Tat Meng hopes the women will rise to the occasion
- Wei Keat aims to make an impact in Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- Rugby team set sights on promotion to Division One
- High stakes as KLHC and Tenaga aim to make history
- Revington selects five more players but trims national squad
- Alia eager to test her skills against world’s best in Munich
- Shariffuddin over the moon after selection to 600cc
- Inconsistent outing for Nabil in Belgium
- Champ Vettel blames Red Bull staff as Mercedes’ Rosberg is mystified
- Woods silences Garcia after winning golf’s richest prize by two strokes
- Madrid winners Nadal and Serena are favourites at Roland Garros
- Federer and Murray not worried over gay players
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- Go see your reps first, says Chong
- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Facebook users risk being blackmailed by seductive strangers
- Duo shot dead after wedding party
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Allianz aims for RM150mil in new premiums
- Couple upset over baby’s death
- From tomorrow, city cabbies can pick up passengers from KLIA
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Malaysia's I-Bhd and Thailand's CPN in mall joint venture with GDV of RM580mil
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife

