Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Car bomb kills three outside hospital in Libya's Benghazi
By Feras Bosalum
BENGHAZI (Reuters) - A car bomb killed at least three people outside a hospital in the Libyan city of Benghazi on Monday, doctors said, in a further sign of the growing disorder that threatens to unhinge an already creaking transition to lawful, democratic rule.
People gather at the scene of a car bomb explosion outside a hospital in Benghazi May 13, 2013. REUTERS/Esam Al-Fetori |
Hundreds of angry people gathered at the scene, blaming the armed militias that hold sway on the streets, and calling for them to be driven from Benghazi, cradle of the uprising that ended Muammar Gaddafi's dictatorship in 2011.
"This is the flesh of our sons, this is what the militias have given us," said a witness at the scene. "All we need here are the police and the army."
The blast damaged a dozen or more vehicles and shattered the windows of buildings nearby, sending up a thick cloud of smoke and flinging dust and debris several blocks.
"This attack is not an isolated incident, but part of a series of incidents targeting the Libyan nation," Prime Minister Ali Zeidan told a news conference in Tripoli.
On Sunday night, the police in Benghazi, Libya's second city, were bombed for the third time in four days.
And in a further sign of the power wielded by the militias that formed to fight Gaddafi and have yet to disarm, gunmen besieged the foreign and justice ministries in Tripoli for two weeks to force parliament to pass a sweeping law barring anyone who held senior office under Gaddafi from serving in government.
Libya's parliament cancelled a session on Monday to allow members from Benghazi to return home and attend the funerals of those killed in the latest attack, for which no one claimed responsibility.
One doctor said three deaths were confirmed in Monday's blast, including a child, and that 17 people were wounded. Another said the fact that the victims had been blown to pieces made it hard to be sure how many had died.
(Additional reporting by Ghaith Shennib; Writing by Jessica Donati; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
Copyright © 2013 Reuters
- Tee sworn in as Johor state exco, despite MCA decision not to accept govt posts
- NGOs lodge report against planned Pakatan rally in Johor
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Khalid sworn in as Selangor MB
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Listeners share stories of a united nation

- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- New Sabah ministers get down to business
- Al-Arqam founder’s wife held
- Johor cops to act against organiser of planned Pakatan rally
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Najib has option of appointing Chinese ministers via Senate
- Asian shares mostly rise, dollar takes breather
- Navis invests in Singapore's electronic waste company
- Moody's: Malaysia's economy grew 5.7% in Q1
- CSC Steel hits high of RM1.45 after firmer earnings
- Trading in I-Bhd halted after MoU inked for RM580m mall
- Verizon Wireless to pay surprise US$7bil dividend
- Emails show lobbyists, not insiders, underpinned U.S. market-moving report
- KLCI eases in early trade, Sime, Genting weigh
- Trading ideas: MMC, Malton, Scomi
- RHB Research maintains Buy on Gamuda, FV RM5.45
- Glass Lewis: Goldman shareholders should vote no on compensation
- UK housing demand highest in 3-1/2 years
- Affin Research maintains Buy, TP RM3.70
- Amazon buys Liquavista from Samsung, launches digital currency
- Wall Street ends near flat after recent highs
- Zhang, Ding out to defend World titles in Paris
- Jun Hoong-Wendy continue fine form with bronze in 3m springboard
- Peng Soon says he’s physically and mentally ready for the Sudirman Cup
- Coach Tat Meng hopes the women will rise to the occasion
- Wei Keat aims to make an impact in Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- Rugby team set sights on promotion to Division One
- High stakes as KLHC and Tenaga aim to make history
- Revington selects five more players but trims national squad
- Alia eager to test her skills against world’s best in Munich
- Shariffuddin over the moon after selection to 600cc
- Inconsistent outing for Nabil in Belgium
- Champ Vettel blames Red Bull staff as Mercedes’ Rosberg is mystified
- Woods silences Garcia after winning golf’s richest prize by two strokes
- Madrid winners Nadal and Serena are favourites at Roland Garros
- Federer and Murray not worried over gay players
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Go see your reps first, says Chong
- Facebook users risk being blackmailed by seductive strangers
- Duo shot dead after wedding party
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Allianz aims for RM150mil in new premiums
- Couple upset over baby’s death
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Malaysia's I-Bhd and Thailand's CPN in mall joint venture with GDV of RM580mil
- From tomorrow, city cabbies can pick up passengers from KLIA
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet

