Published: Friday May 3, 2013 MYT 6:17:00 PM
Updated: Friday May 3, 2013 MYT 7:20:26 PM
GE13: For war weary Lahad Datu folks, vote is for BN to rebuild their lives
By STEPHANIE LEE

LAHAD DATU: After being tossed into the limelight and living out a war zone experience, the people of Tanjung Labian are slowly resuming their normal kampung life.
As they go to vote this Sunday, the trauma of the Sulu intrusion and the gun battles that followed with the security forces is still etched in their minds.
Most of them have returned to their homes and hoping to rebuild their stilt wooden houses destroyed with the help of the authorities.
Flags and posters of various parties line the 165-kilometer road from the Lahad Datu town to Tanjung Labian interspaced with security checkpoints in and outside the Felda Sahabat area, where Tanjung Labian is located.
Hiya Majijil with his grandchild at a kindergarten after his house was destroyed due to the Sulu intrusion. A 71-year-old gas trader Hiya Majijil who was met at a kindergarten used as temporary shelter for the displaced villagers said during the peaceful times, campaigns here were held in a similar manner, except at that time, it was a like a festival.
"The campaign activities, talks and visits from candidates used to be more exciting, filled with more laughter but now, it is less cheery. We are just thankful to be alive today," he said.
Hiya who lost his house and business said it was a heartbreaking sight when they were finally allowed to return home more than a month ago.
A man says a prayer amongst the ruins of the houses destroyed during the Sulu intrusion. "My family and I did not know what to expect but when I saw our houses all damaged and burnt, I couldn't help but cry," he said.
Hiya said he will choose the party that would help the villagers rebuild their homes and whoever would help his family of 12 children and 33 grandchildren.
"We have been told the government will compensate us and rebuild homes, so I must make sure the government today will be remain.” "Everything is pretty much back to normal now. This election's campaign is almost the same as previously. The only difference is that many of us do not have a home anymore," said Hiya.
A bullet hole in the wall of a kindergarden in Kampung Tanjung Labian is a stark reminder of the gunfights that took place not too long ago. Farmer Sitti Harija Udjaman, 57, said the authorities have been very helpful to the displaced families by providing basic necessities.
She said when they were allowed to return to the kampung, everyone felt sad as it no longer felt like home.
"It is still a difficult life for us," she said, adding that the villagers were trying their best to cope with their day-to-day life. "Thankfully my son's employer allowed us to stay at his house until our homes are rebuilt," she said.
Election fever in Kampung Tanjung Labian persists. Tanjung Labian is about 30km away from Tanduo village that was the focal point of the Sulu attack. Tanduo is still out of bounds to the villagers.
Both Tanjung Labian and Tanduo is under the constituency of Tungku state seat of 14, 626 voters where Barisan Nasional's incumbent Datuk Mohd Suhaili Said is challenged by Dato Shuaib Dato Mutalib of SAPP, Tsen Yun Fah @ Mohd Azlan Tsen Abdullah (independent), Johani Abd Halim (PKR) and Johan Nul (STAR).
For more election stories, please visit The Star's GE13 site
- NGO group demands resignation of EC members over alleged poll irregularities
- 154 police reports lodged against Pakatan rallies
- Tee sworn in as Johor state exco, despite MCA decision not to accept govt posts
- NGOs lodge report against planned Pakatan rally in Johor
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Khalid sworn in as Selangor MB
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Listeners share stories of a united nation

- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- New Sabah ministers get down to business
- Al-Arqam founder’s wife held
- Johor cops to act against organiser of planned Pakatan rally
- Asian shares mostly rise, dollar takes breather
- Navis invests in Singapore's electronic waste company
- Moody's: Malaysia's economy grew 5.7% in Q1
- CSC Steel hits high of RM1.45 after firmer earnings
- Trading in I-Bhd halted after MoU inked for RM580m mall
- Verizon Wireless to pay surprise US$7bil dividend
- Emails show lobbyists, not insiders, underpinned U.S. market-moving report
- KLCI eases in early trade, Sime, Genting weigh
- Trading ideas: MMC, Malton, Scomi
- RHB Research maintains Buy on Gamuda, FV RM5.45
- Glass Lewis: Goldman shareholders should vote no on compensation
- UK housing demand highest in 3-1/2 years
- Affin Research maintains Buy, TP RM3.70
- Amazon buys Liquavista from Samsung, launches digital currency
- Wall Street ends near flat after recent highs
- U.S. TV psychologist Joyce Brothers dies at age 85
- Panic grips Saudis as toll rises from SARS-like virus
- DiCaprio environmental art auction tops $33 million
- Three astronauts return to Earth after ISS mission
- Minnesota becomes 12th US state with gay marriage
- Taiwanese fishermen burn Filipino flags in protest
- Ice wall crashes into Canada cottages
- Zhang, Ding out to defend World titles in Paris
- Jun Hoong-Wendy continue fine form with bronze in 3m springboard
- Peng Soon says he’s physically and mentally ready for the Sudirman Cup
- Coach Tat Meng hopes the women will rise to the occasion
- Wei Keat aims to make an impact in Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- Rugby team set sights on promotion to Division One
- High stakes as KLHC and Tenaga aim to make history
- Revington selects five more players but trims national squad
- Alia eager to test her skills against world’s best in Munich
- Shariffuddin over the moon after selection to 600cc
- Inconsistent outing for Nabil in Belgium
- Champ Vettel blames Red Bull staff as Mercedes’ Rosberg is mystified
- Woods silences Garcia after winning golf’s richest prize by two strokes
- Madrid winners Nadal and Serena are favourites at Roland Garros
- Federer and Murray not worried over gay players
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Go see your reps first, says Chong
- Facebook users risk being blackmailed by seductive strangers
- Duo shot dead after wedding party
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Allianz aims for RM150mil in new premiums
- Couple upset over baby’s death
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Malaysia's I-Bhd and Thailand's CPN in mall joint venture with GDV of RM580mil
- From tomorrow, city cabbies can pick up passengers from KLIA
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet

