News

Published: Sunday May 5, 2013 MYT 9:28:00 PM

GE13: Assaulted foreign workers were not phantom voters, say police

By M. KUMAR


SHAH ALAM: Police have denied reports that the foreigners who were beaten up by the public were phantom voters.

Selangor police head of management Senior Asst Comm Nasaruddin Hassan said they were factory workers who were returning home from a trip into town on their day off.

"The bus was chartered by their employers to ferry the workers, consisting of Myanmmar, Nepal and Bangladesh nationals, into town during every weekend so they can buy essential items," he said during press conference at state police headquarters here.

The 54 foreigners were on their way home on Jalan Young, around 3.45pm when a group of 80 to 90 political supporters stopped the bus which had been bogged down by heavy traffic.

The bus was pelted with rocks and all windows were smashed.

Some of the foreigners managed to escape but most were beaten by the public.

Seven of them were sent to Klang Hospital for out patient treatment.

SAC Nasaruddin said a check by police showed none of the foreigners had a MyKad. "They only had passports," he said.

Police are investigating under Section 148 of the Penal Code for rioting.

"So far no arrests have been made," he said.

Meanwhile, he said there has been 29 police reports lodged in Selangor on the issue of the indelible ink being easily removed.

SAC Nasaruddin said no FRU personnel have been stationed at the Selangor State Secretariat building.

"We have regular policemen there but if the need arises, we will bring in the FRU," he said.

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share