Wednesday May 8, 2013
GE13: Najib has 11 vacancies to fill in new team
PETALING JAYA: There are 11 vacancies to be filled by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak in the new Cabinet.
Six members did not contest in the general election, one has been re-assigned to a state seat while four others were defeated in the polls.
Najib will also need to ensure that his Cabinet line-up reflects, to a certain degree, the outcome of the general election.
The Prime Minister could reward Umno and Barisan Nasional's Sabah and Sarawak component parties for their continued strong performance in the polls with Cabinet positions.
Umno, which previously won 79 seats now holds 88 seats while Sarawak's Parti Pesaka Bumiputra Bersatu maintained its 100% record by winning all 14 of its parliamentary seats.
The MIC is expected to retain its two Cabinet seats as its president Datuk Seri G. Palanivel and his deputy Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam won in the polls.
Several Barisan MPs are of the opinion that Najib's new Cabinet line-up should comprise new faces and those who have “less baggage”.
“Don't worry about them not having the experience. Barisan MPs are smart and they can learn fast,” said an MP, adding that ministers must quickly articulate issues pertaining to ministries onto various media platform like websites and Twitter.
Another MP said it would be ideal to see bigger representation from Sabah and Sarawak.
“There were seven ministers from Sabah and Sarawak in the previous Cabinet. We hope to see a bigger number,” he said.
Those who did not contest in the general election were Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim, Tan Sri Nor Mohamed Yakcop, Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil, Datuk Seri Dr Ng Yen Yen, Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon and Datuk Seri Peter Chin Fah Kui.
Datuk Seri Khaled Nordin, who was the Higher Education Minister, contested in the Permas state seat in Johor while Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin, Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha, Tan Sri Bernard Dompok and Datuk Seri Chor Chee Heung were defeated in the polls.
The MCA has decided not to accept any positions.
Najib will have to make a decision whether to respect the party's stand or persuade them to join the Cabinet with several Barisan leaders urging the party to reconsider its position.
For more election stories, please visit The Star's GE13 site
Related Stories:
GE13: Malaysians share what type of leaders they want in Cabinet
GE13: Fitting a perfect blend into the Cabinet
GE13: Yeoh: New ministers must have integrity and substance
- Tee sworn in as Johor state exco, despite MCA decision not to accept govt posts
- NGOs lodge report against planned Pakatan rally in Johor
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Khalid sworn in as Selangor MB
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Listeners share stories of a united nation

- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- New Sabah ministers get down to business
- Al-Arqam founder’s wife held
- Johor cops to act against organiser of planned Pakatan rally
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Najib has option of appointing Chinese ministers via Senate
- Asian shares mostly rise, dollar takes breather
- Navis invests in Singapore's electronic waste company
- Moody's: Malaysia's economy grew 5.7% in Q1
- CSC Steel hits high of RM1.45 after firmer earnings
- Trading in I-Bhd halted after MoU inked for RM580m mall
- Verizon Wireless to pay surprise US$7bil dividend
- Emails show lobbyists, not insiders, underpinned U.S. market-moving report
- KLCI eases in early trade, Sime, Genting weigh
- Trading ideas: MMC, Malton, Scomi
- RHB Research maintains Buy on Gamuda, FV RM5.45
- Glass Lewis: Goldman shareholders should vote no on compensation
- UK housing demand highest in 3-1/2 years
- Affin Research maintains Buy, TP RM3.70
- Amazon buys Liquavista from Samsung, launches digital currency
- Wall Street ends near flat after recent highs
- Zhang, Ding out to defend World titles in Paris
- Jun Hoong-Wendy continue fine form with bronze in 3m springboard
- Peng Soon says he’s physically and mentally ready for the Sudirman Cup
- Coach Tat Meng hopes the women will rise to the occasion
- Wei Keat aims to make an impact in Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- Rugby team set sights on promotion to Division One
- High stakes as KLHC and Tenaga aim to make history
- Revington selects five more players but trims national squad
- Alia eager to test her skills against world’s best in Munich
- Shariffuddin over the moon after selection to 600cc
- Inconsistent outing for Nabil in Belgium
- Champ Vettel blames Red Bull staff as Mercedes’ Rosberg is mystified
- Woods silences Garcia after winning golf’s richest prize by two strokes
- Madrid winners Nadal and Serena are favourites at Roland Garros
- Federer and Murray not worried over gay players
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Go see your reps first, says Chong
- Facebook users risk being blackmailed by seductive strangers
- Duo shot dead after wedding party
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Allianz aims for RM150mil in new premiums
- Couple upset over baby’s death
- Khaled Nordin sworn in as Johor MB (Updated)
- Malaysia's I-Bhd and Thailand's CPN in mall joint venture with GDV of RM580mil
- From tomorrow, city cabbies can pick up passengers from KLIA
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet

