News

Wednesday May 8, 2013

GE13: Papagomo and King Jason arrested

By FARIK ZOLKEPLI and RASHITHA A. HAMID
newsdesk@thestar.com.my


KUALA LUMPUR: Police have moved in to curb racial tension by arresting two bloggers after reports were lodged against their postings on social media.

The police reports alleged that the postings by Papagomo and King Jason were seditious in nature and they fuelled racial sentiments and propagated lies.

Meanwhile, police reports were also lodged against Utusan Malaysia's front-page report yesterday which allegedly contained elements of sedition.

Controversial 33-year-old blogger Papagomo was picked up at about 3pm at a petrol station in Danau Kota, Setapak, while 38-year-old King Jason was detained at about noon in Kampung Jawa, Klang.

Federal Commercial Crimes Investigation Department director Comm Datuk Syed Ismail Syed Azizan said the two bloggers had gone too far in their statements on social media site Twitter.

“We will not tolerate such brash postings aimed at inciting hatred and causing chaos.

“We will not rest until those who spread lies and post racial messages are detained. We expect to make more arrests soon,” he told a press conference in Bukit Perdana yesterday.

Comm Syed Ismail said King Jason was being investigated under Section 233 of the Communication and Multimedia Act 1998/Section 500 of the Penal Code, which carries up to a year's imprisonment or RM50,000 fine, or both, upon conviction.

“Papagomo is being investigated under Section 233 of the Communication and Multimedia Act 1998 and Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act.

“They will be remanded on Wednesday (today) to facilitate investigations,” he said, adding that police also seized several laptops, mobile phones, external hard disk as well as memory cards.

Comm Syed Ismail said police were also tracking down a Facebook user, who posted a racially sensitive statement.

“We hope to detain the man as soon as possible,” he said.

Comm Syed Ismail also confirmed that blogger Milo Suam had been released on police bail and the investigation paper forwarded to the Attorney-General's Chambers.

He added that a police report each were lodged in Bangsar and Nibong Tebal over Utusan Malaysia's front-page report.

For more election stories, please visit The Star's GE13 site

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share