News

Published: Thursday May 9, 2013 MYT 11:48:00 AM
Updated: Thursday May 9, 2013 MYT 5:24:19 PM

Former Kedah MB Azizan to undergo surgery to amputate legs

By EMBUN MAJID and HAN KAR KAY


Former Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak Former Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak

ALOR SETAR: Former Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak has been scheduled to undergo surgery to amputate both his legs at the Penang General Hospital on Thursday evening.

His press secretary Mohd Helmi Khalid confirmed that doctors had told his family that Azizan's legs would need to be amputated to prevent the infection in his legs from spreading to other parts of his body.

"The amputation will be made below his knees. The surgery is scheduled an hour from now (4.45pm)," he said on Wednesday.

Azizan, 69, was transferred to the Penang General Hospital from a private hospital here at about 4pm Tuesday after suffering a viral infection in his leg.

Helmi had earlier clarified that Azizan was hospitalised because he suffered from diabetes and not from a heart attack.

Azizan slipped into coma at 5.30pm on Wednesday but regained consciousness around 9am on Thursday.

Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom from the Prime Minister's Department visited Azizan around 3pm here.

"I urge the people to pray for Azizan's quick recovery," he said.

Azizan had successfully defended the Sungai Limau state seat in a four-cornered fight with Barisan Nasional's Mohd Fazillah Mohd Ali and two Independents Sobri Ahmad and Abdullah Hashim in the 13th general election.

Azizan garnered 13,294 votes while Mohd Fazillah, who is his cousin, got 10,520 votes. Both Sobri and Abdullah garnered 100 and 84 votes, respectively.

Related Stories:
Ex-Kedah MB now under observation
Azizan in stable condition, King, Penang TYT and Mukhriz visit

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share