Published: Thursday May 9, 2013 MYT 12:50:00 PM
Updated: Thursday May 9, 2013 MYT 1:17:12 PM
Lahad Datu: Lawyer’s bid to represent 21 Filipinos over Sulu intrusion dismissed
KOTA KINABALU: A senior peninsula lawyer's bid to be admitted into the Sabah bar to represent 21 Filipino nationals involved in the Lahad Datu Sulu intrusion has been dismissed by the Kota Kinabalu High Court.
In dismissing the ad-hoc application by counsel Datuk Sivanathan Nityanantham, Justice Chew Soo Ho held that the application did not comply with Section 10(c) and Section 10(3) of the Sabah Advocates Ordinance 1953.
Justice Chew, however, dismissed the application with the liberty to reapply.
Sivanathan's ad-hoc admission was objected by the Sabah Law Association (SLA), represented by counsel Catherine Chau.
Chau told the court that it was not the association's policy to object to such ad-hoc applications provided they complied with the Ordinance and other guidelines.
She said the SLA was objecting to the ad-hoc application by Sivanathan who appeared to be handling too many cases.
"The logistics involved in one counsel handling so many cases would be overwhelming," Chau said.
"It is not in the interest of justice to allow one leading counsel assisted by a local advocate to monopolise and handle numerous cases even though joint trials may be ordered for some of these cases," she added.
According to Chau, Sivanathan was to appear as counsel for the Filipino nationals, as determined by the Philippines Embassy, when they were charged in court for the various offences relating to the Lahad Datu incursion.
She noted that Sivanathan, who was represented by counsel James Tsai, was making a single application for an ad hoc admission not only for the existing cases, but for other similar cases yet to be brought to court.
Chau argued that Section 10(c) of the Ordinance stipulated that an application had to be made separately for each case.
In submitting the application earlier, Tsai told the court that Sivanathan was a fit and proper person to be allowed the ad hoc admission due to his extensive experience and specialised knowledge in criminal litigation locally and at the International Criminal Court.
Tsai said he had approached six local senior counsel for their services but all of them had turned him down.
He said 21 Filipino nationals had so far been charged with waging war against the Yang di-Pertuan Agong as well as for terrorism and recruiting people to participate in terrorist acts.
Related Stories:
Lahad Datu: Three more Filipinos charged over intrusion by Sulu gunmen
GE13: For war weary Lahad Datu folks, vote is for BN to rebuild their lives
Lahad Datu: Bukit Aman to interview Raja Petra over Sulu intrusion article
Lahad Datu: Anwar Show us proof Opposition involved with Sulu gunmen
Lahad Datu: PKR's Penampang candidate Darell Leiking claims likely to be named among Sulu incursion plotters
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- Listeners share stories of a united nation

- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- New Sabah ministers get down to business
- Al-Arqam founder’s wife held
- Johor cops to act against organiser of planned Pakatan rally
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Najib has option of appointing Chinese ministers via Senate
- Seven lodge reports over vote-buying
- Laughter the best medicine for political rivalry, says club
- MCA man may be in Johor exco line-up
- Half of Negri Sembilan exco members to be new faces
- Trading ideas: MMC, Malton, Scomi
- KLCI eases in early trade, Sime, Genting weigh
- RHB Research maintains Buy on Gamuda, FV RM5.45
- Glass Lewis: Goldman shareholders should vote no on compensation
- UK housing demand highest in 3-1/2 years
- Affin Research maintains Buy, TP RM3.70
- Amazon buys Liquavista from Samsung, launches digital currency
- Wall Street ends near flat after recent highs
- Malaysia-Market factors to watch on May 14(Tuesday)
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- New record for Malaysian stocks
- No new oil palm on peatland debate hots up
- Analysts cautious on plantation sector
- Economists see softer Q1 GDP growth in M'sia
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- Jun Hoong-Wendy continue fine form with bronze in 3m springboard
- Peng Soon says he’s physically and mentally ready for the Sudirman Cup
- Coach Tat Meng hopes the women will rise to the occasion
- Wei Keat aims to make an impact in Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- Rugby team set sights on promotion to Division One
- High stakes as KLHC and Tenaga aim to make history
- Revington selects five more players but trims national squad
- Alia eager to test her skills against world’s best in Munich
- Shariffuddin over the moon after selection to 600cc
- Inconsistent outing for Nabil in Belgium
- Champ Vettel blames Red Bull staff as Mercedes’ Rosberg is mystified
- Woods silences Garcia after winning golf’s richest prize by two strokes
- Madrid winners Nadal and Serena are favourites at Roland Garros
- Federer and Murray not worried over gay players
- Bolt to race in Zurich
- Many laud idea of merging BN coalition parties
- Najib wants Chinese in Cabinet
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- It’s time to rebrand May 13
- New Orleans police release photos of Mother's Day shooting suspect
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- Go see your reps first, says Chong
- ‘Colour blind’ Malaysians ready to accept fellow citizens
- From tomorrow, city cabbies can pick up passengers from KLIA
- If you want to go far work early and hard on personal branding
- Cyclone takes the heat for hot weather
- AirAsia X offers free tickets to any destination for initial public offering to retail investors
- Malaysia's I-Bhd and Thailand's CPN in mall joint venture with GDV of RM580mil
- Bomoh tricks desperate wife
- Couple upset over baby’s death
- Doc held for posing as cop to extort businessman
- Allianz aims for RM150mil in new premiums
- RM90,000 raised at ‘swimathon’
- Facebook users risk being blackmailed by seductive strangers

