Monday March 14, 2011
Gas cylinder leak causes blast at factory
MALACCA: Three cylinders filled with harmful ammonia gas were flung 80m high after an explosion at a factory in Tangga Batu Industrial estate near here.
State Fire and Rescue Department deputy operation officer Kamaruzaman Mohd Din said a leak in one of the cylinders was believed to have caused the explosion.
Kamaruzaman said his department received a distress call at about 7.20pm on Saturday and 35 officers in five engines rushed to the scene.
He said foam was used to prevent the ammonia from being released. No injuries were reported, he added.
Tangga Batu Kecil Village Development and Security committee chairman Omar Wahab said villagers living close to the explosion site hoped the gas factory would discontinue operations.
He said the villagers were concerned about the health hazard posed by prolonged inhalation of ammonia.