Tuesday October 9, 2012
Sauber to confirm 2013 line-up before end of season
SUZUKA: Sauber will announce their 2013 driver line-up before the end of the Formula One season but nothing has been decided yet, team chief executive Monisha Kaltenborn said.
The Swiss-based team will have at least one vacancy after Mexican Sergio Perez departs at the end of the year for McLaren to replace 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton, who is joining Mercedes.
Kamui Kobayashi’s seat is not secure either, despite his fine drive to third place at his home Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka on Sunday.
Asked when a decision would be made, Kaltenborn told Reuters: “In this season”.
She played down speculation that it could depend on whether Ferrari, the team’s engine suppliers, decided to retain Brazilian Felipe Massa or bring in someone else to replace him.
Massa was previously a Sauber driver and could be in line for a return, although after finishing second on Sunday, his first podium since 2010, many now expect him to stay. — Reuters