Published: Friday September 7, 2012 MYT 7:37:00 AM
Updated: Friday September 7, 2012 MYT 3:46:11 PM
Serbian Savic lifetime match-fix ban upheld
NEW YORK: Serbian journeyman David Savic had his lifetime ban from tennis upheld on Thursday by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
The 27-year-old, who is listed as the world 363 in the latest ATP rankings, was found guilty of match-fixing in October 2011 and fined $100,000.
"The Court of Arbitration for Sport has confirmed the decision to rule that David Savic be permanently ineligible to participate in any event organised or sanctioned by any tennis governing body," said a CAS statement issued in Lausanne.
"However, the CAS has decided to set aside the fine of $100,000 which had been imposed on the player."
The Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) said in October last year that Savic had been found guilty on three counts of corruption with the violations taking place in October 2010. - AFP