Monday January 28, 2013
Chong Wei to pick and choose on overseas invites
KUALA LUMPUR: Several countries are dangling lucrative cash incentives to lure world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei to play in their local leagues but coach Tey Seu Bock does not want his player to bite more than he can chew.
For Seu Bock, the priority for the 30-year-old Chong Wei is the World Championships in Guangzhou in August.
Chong Wei will, however, play for Musica, a club spearheaded by former world champion Hariyanto Arbi in the Indonesian League which starts in Jakarta on Feb 2.
“Chong Wei will play for Musica but only for two matches. This will not disrupt his training. In fact, he will probably enjoy some high quality matches,” said Seu Bock.
Chong Wei’s participation in the China League will only take place after the World Championships.
There is also the lucrative US$1mil Indian Badminton League (IBL) in June. Chong Wei, however, has not made any decision on his participation.
“We have decided that the priority is the world meet and Chong Wei will only begin his participation in the China League after the completion of the championships.
“So far, he has not been entered for the IBL. Some of the leagues clash with Chong Wei’s tournament schedule and we do not want him to be overloaded with too many responsibilities,” said Seu Bock.
Chong Wei’s participation in the home and away Axiata Cup team championship has also not been confirmed. The first leg is in Kuala Lumpur from March 21-24.
Chong Wei has had a brilliant start to the year, picking up US$105,000 (RM315,000) for winning back-to-back Korean and Malaysian Opens. His next big tournament is the All-England in Birmingham from March 5-10. He is eyeing his third straight triumph in the world’s oldest badminton tournament.