Wednesday January 9, 2013
Prakash shocked at Dangerous’ decision to back out of Project 2013
By AFTAR SINGH
KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) coach S. Prakash is shocked and confused with the decision by forward Dangerous Lee to withdraw from the Project 2013 hockey squad.
The 21-year-old Dangerous quit the Project squad for the third time in three years when he sent a text message to coach K. Dharmaraj on Sunday stating that he wanted out as he would not be able to compete with the others for a place in the team.
Prakash said that when the Sarawak-born player first joined BJSS in 2009, “he was only an average student”.
“However, he not only improved his academic results but was also a dedicated player and had no disciplinary problems,” said Prakash, who has been coaching the BJSS team since 2001.
“He was a skilful forward and top scorer for BJSS in the MJHL (Malaysian Junior Hockey League) in 2010.
“Dangerous was delighted when he received the call-up to join the Project 2013 squad training in 2010.”
Prakash said he was also puzzled as to why Dangerous withdrew from the team after joining the training only in October.
“I called Dangerous a few of times to find out why he had quit the team but he didn’t answer my calls,” said Prakash.
“I hope his decision to quit the Project 2013 squad will not affect his chances of getting a place in UPM (Universiti Putra Malaysia), who give priority to BJSS students who are active in sports.”
Dangerous completed his pre-university course last month and has applied to do a degree in sports science in UPM.