Friday March 1, 2013
McLaren will survive without Lowe, says Button
LONDON: Jenson Button insists his McLaren team will still win races – despite losing technical director Paddy Lowe to rivals Mercedes.
The technical whizz has followed British ace Lewis Hamilton out of the door at McLaren to join Merc’s dream team.
Lowe, who had been at McLaren since 1993, has been placed on gardening leave since informing the Woking-based team that he wanted to quit.
The 50-year-old has been replaced by Tim Goss, who has been promoted from his role as director of engineering.
And Button says that Goss can help the team be a success on the track when the new season kicks off on March 17th.
Button said: “I really like Paddy. It has been good fun working with him and he is a good guy. “But things change and he wants a new challenge and fair play to him. He has to look after Number One and that’s himself. Good luck to him.
“But having Tim in that role is fantastic. He is the guy who designed the 2012 car which won seven races, so he knows exactly what he is doing.
“This team is not down to one individual it is the full team. Paddy leaving is part of the sport.
“This team will succeed with or without him.”
Meanwhile, McLaren’s managing director, Jonathan Neale, says Lowe’s departure so close to the first race in Melbourne, will not hamper the team’s preparations.
McLaren are desperate for a good start to the campaign after finishing behind Red Bull and Ferrari in the constructors’ championship last season.
He added: “The further up the organisation you go, the least amount of impact you make in the short term.
“If you speak to most businessmen, they will tell you that. If you pull out a chief executive, then the business still goes on as normal.” — The Sun, London