Saturday March 16, 2013
Federer still searching for answers after ‘difficult week’
INDIAN WELLS (California): Roger Federer’s tough week in the desert ended with a quarter-final loss to Rafael Nadal on Thursday and see the Swiss great heading into a planned seven-week break still without a title in 2013.
“It’s been a really difficult week for me, so I’m happy to have played a decent tournament,” said Federer, the defending champion in the year’s first ATP Masters tournament, who struggled throughout with an aching back.
“Overall under the circumstances, I’m happy,” he said, adding that he expected to stick to his planned schedule of taking a lengthy break, up until the Madrid Masters in early May.
Last year Federer, who went down 6-4, 6-2 to old rival Nadal, arrived at Indian Wells with victories in Rotterdam and Dubai under his belt. The 31-year-old was denied title repeats in both of those events - losing in the semi-finals in Dubai after failing to convert three match points against Czech Tomas Berdych.
A return in Madrid would see him again trying to defend one of his six 2012 titles, which also included a Wimbledon crown and a win in Cincinnati.
“I’ll probably maintain my schedule, but you never know,” said Federer, who was heading back to Switzerland. “I always say I will discuss with my team what the schedule is after here once the tournament is over.”
Federer, however, isn’t surprised by the Spaniard’s speedy return to form after a seven-month injury absence.
“He’s not going to come back if he’s not well,” Federer said. “He’s not going to come back half-broken.
“I expected him to tear through the clay. I expected him to be tough here, which he shows to be,” Federer said.
“He’s a bit careful at times, his movement,” said Federer, who knows Nadal’s game well enough after 29 meetings to judge.
“That’s totally normal. He hasn’t played for some time on hard court.
“I don’t know if it’s careful or if it’s just getting used to it again.” — AFP