Tuesday March 19, 2013
Honda to make Formula One comeback
TOKYO: Honda plan to return to Formula One as soon as 2015 as an engine supplier to British team McLaren, bidding to revive one of the sport’s most successful partnerships.
The Japanese automaker pulled out of F1 after the 2008 season, ending an involvement that began in the 1960s, in a bid to cut costs during the economic downturn, which ravaged Japanese exports to the United States and Europe.
They sold their team to former principal Ross Brawn the next year.
But Honda have now begun developing engines that could be supplied to McLaren, the Asahi Shimbun reported, citing unidentified company sources.
A recent change in F1 rules, promoting the use of environmentally friendlier turbo engines, has made the comeback decision easier because Honda could readily transfer the technology to their commercial vehicles, it said.
Jiji Press reported a similar story.
Last month, when asked about the possibility of returning to F1, Honda’s president Takanobu Ito said “we are studying intensely”. But a Honda spokeswoman yesterday declined to comment further on the reports. — AFP