Published: Saturday March 9, 2013 MYT 8:33:00 AM
Updated: Saturday March 9, 2013 MYT 8:35:22 AM
Ogier leads Mexico Rally after 11 specials
LEON, Mexico: Frenchman Sebastien Ogier leads following the first 11 specials after the first full day of the Rally of Mexico, the third leg of the world championships, here on Friday.
The winner of the last Rally of Sweden leads Norway's Mads Ostberg by 29.49sec with Mikko Hirvonen of Finland in third at 37.3sec.
Leading overnight, Ogier won the first special of the day before he was overtaken by Ostberg, who won the next two.
However, a masterful drive in the sixth special put the Frenchman, driving a VW Polo, back in front and allowed him to maintain his lead and he also polished off the 11th special stage to underline his form despite Ostberg landing stages 9 and 10 to stay closely in touch.
Rally of Mexico results on Friday after opening 11 specials:
1. Sebastien Ogier (FRA/VW Polo R) 1hr 54min 33.7sec,
2. Mads Ostberg (NOR/Ford Fiesta RS) at 29.4sec,
3. Mikko Hirvonen (FIN/Citroen DS3) 37.3,
4. Thierry Neuville (BEL/Ford Fiesta RS) 1:01.7,
5. Dani Sordo-Carlos Del Barrio (ESP/Citroen DS3) 2:35.0,
6. Nasser Al-Attiyah (QAT Citroen DS3) 3:15.6,
7. Ken Block (USA/Ford Fiesta RS) 4:38.2, 8. Benito Guerra (MEX/Citroen DS3) 5:56.6,
Special stage wins:
Neuville 1 (SS1), Ogier 6 (SS2, SS3, SS6, SS7, SS8, SS11), Ostberg 4 (SS4, SS5, SS9, SS10) - AFP