Army personnel and assets ready to deploy for flood ops, says chief


KUALA LUMPUR: Some 192 army officers and 3,552 personnel are on standby, along with various assets, for flood operations.

Army Chief General Tan Sri Muhammad Hafizuddeain Jantan stated that the manpower and assets, including trucks and combat boats, are ready to be deployed for the flood operations, codenamed "Ops Murni."

"We are aware that the floods this year are expected to worsen.

"Thus, we are ready with the necessary officers and personnel along with sufficient logistics," he told reporters at Wisma Pertahanan on Friday (Nov 29).

ALSO READ : Floods: Authorities activate Centralised Disaster Operations Control Centre

Placing the personnel and assets on standby is part of the initial directive for the deployment of all formations under the army, he said.

"We are also identifying all hotspots that will be hit the worst during the floods," he said.

General Muhammad Hafizuddeain mentioned that the army has so far deployed 31 officers and 350 personnel to Kedah, Kelantan, and Terengganu.

"Our principle is to be first on site.

"We also deployed 17 one-tonne trucks, 16 three-tonne trucks, and 15 combat boats to the three states," he said.

He added that the army is ready to assist other relevant agencies, such as the National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma), in rescuing flood victims.

"It is an integrated operation involving a multi-agency effort," he said.

He confirmed that the army is prepared to send additional officers, personnel, and assets should the need arise.

"Whatever it takes, we are ready all the time," he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read