Indonesia promises better relocation package for islanders after clashes over Chinese project


Rempang villagers facing off with Indonesian police earlier this month, in a protest against relocation, to make way for the Chinese project. = PHOTO: BADAN PENGUSAHA BATAM

JAKARTA/BATAM: An Indonesian minister said on Monday that the country is committed to developing the resource-rich island of Rempang south of Batam into an industrial park, following clashes between villagers and the police over a relocation plan.

Investment Minister Bahlil Lahadalia on Monday promised an improved plan to compensate and relocate the villagers affected by the project on Rempang, including the possibility of relocating them to an area on the island itself rather than moving them to Galang island.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs
Analysis-Britain's royals face their worst crisis in 90 years over Andrew's Epstein links
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash
Thai police go undercover as lion dancers to nab a serial burglar
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Friday (Feb 20, 2024)
Chinese scientists develop AI model to push deep-space exploration
Peru’s President Jose Jeri ousted after ‘Chifagate’ scandal tied to Chinese contractor
Singapore to ease measures against Nipah virus outbreak as condition stabilise
Indonesia agrees to eliminate tariffs on over 99% of US goods, says US trade representative

Others Also Read