One killed and 13 injured in two bomb blasts in Narathiwat, Thailand's restive southern province


NARATHIWAT (Bernama): One person was killed and 13 others, including a police officer, were injured in two bomb explosions in the Jok Irong and Sukhirin districts of Narathiwat, southern Thailand, early this morning.

Region 9 Police Chief, Maj. Gen. Pol. Piyawat Chalermsi, said the first bomb explosion occurred at 7:20 am, targeting defence volunteers who were patrolling the roads in Jok Irong.

"Six defence volunteers were injured in the first incident and were taken to Jok Irong Hospital for emergency treatment," he said in a statement here today.

He said the police's initial investigation at the scene found bomb fragments that had been placed in a gas cylinder by the roadside.

In the second explosion, Piyawat said the bomb, which was planted by the roadside in Kampung Air Jambu, Sukhirin district, exploded at 8:10 am, injuring seven defence volunteers.

"The seven injured members were sent to Sukhirin Hospital for treatment, while a 41-year-old defence volunteer passed away at noon at the hospital," he said.

Piyawat added that a police officer from the bomb disposal unit was seriously injured while investigating the incident after stepping on a bomb planted by the roadside in Sukhirin.

"The officer, who suffered severe leg injuries, had to be transferred from Sukhirin Hospital to Songkhla Nakharin Hospital in Hatyai by helicopter for further treatment," he said.

However, he added that so far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attacks. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Lao Digital Week 2025 kicks off to boost digital transformation
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Thursday (April 3, 2025)
S$1.45bil nickel scam: Venture capitalist says he was impressed when he first met alleged scammer
Bushfire triggers evacuation order in Southeast Perth
Myanmar quake: SMART removes eight victims as search enters fifth day
Jail for Singaporean man who forged documents after breaking terms of Yayasan Mendaki study loan
Nepal capital chokes as wildfires rage
Australian woman arrested for allegedly stealing perfume while in transit at Changi Airport two years ago
Putra Heights inferno: 48 victims still in hospital
Putra Heights inferno: About 450 victims still displaced

Others Also Read