Philippines seeking US clarification on anti-vax propaganda operation on Filipinos


MANILA (Reuters): The Philippines is still seeking clarification from the Pentagon about a secret US propaganda operation that aimed to cast doubt among Filipinos about Chinese vaccines at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, a foreign ministry official said on Tuesday.

A Reuters investigation on June 14 detailed how the Pentagon ran a clandestine influence campaign in 2020 and 2021 to denigrate the Sinovac vaccine and other pandemic aid from China across the developing world.

The effort was intended to counter what Washington then saw as China's growing geopolitical sway around the globe, including in South-East Asia. It began under former President Donald Trump and ended months after President Joseph Biden took office.

"We have not received an official and formal response yet on any confirmation, denial or anything. We are waiting on that. We continue to monitor and ask for information," Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Jose Victor Chan-Gonzaga told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, which is investigating the US information campaign.

As soon as the Reuters article came out, Chan-Gonzaga said the foreign ministry had contacted the US embassy in Manila through "our regular consultations mechanism" but had been referred to the US Defence Department.

Contacted for further comment on Tuesday, the US embassy also referred Reuters to the US Defence Department.

A senior Defence Department official cited by Reuters in the June 14 report acknowledged that the U.S military had engaged in secret propaganda to disparage China’s vaccine in the developing world, but declined to provide details.

Senator Imee Marcos, who chairs the Foreign Relations Committee, described the U.S. military campaign as "evil, wicked, dangerous, unethical."

Marcos, who is the sister of Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, said the number of Filipinos who had fallen ill and died from Covid-19 was "shocking".

Nearly 67,000 Filipinos have died of Covid to date, while the number of infections has reached more than 4.1 million, World Health Organization data showed, making the Philippines among the hardest hit by the pandemic in South-East Asia.

Health Undersecretary Rosario Vergeire told the Senate committee hearing on Tuesday that health officials had been alarmed by the spread of disinformation about vaccines but had thought it was "random" and not organised.

(Reporting by Neil Jerome Morales Editing by Gareth Jones) - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Olympics-Ice hockey-US claim long-awaited gold by beating rivals Canada in overtime thriller
MACC arrests former telco director over RM8mil bribe
Greenland prime minister says 'no thanks' to Trump's hospital ship
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Sunday (Feb 22, 2026)
Russian embassy in Seoul displays ‘Victory will be ours’ banner ahead of Ukraine war anniversary
Who will be the next Opposition leader in the Dewan Rakyat?
Singapore flights to and from New York cancelled as ‘super bomb’ blizzard aims heavy snow at US north-east
Indonesia ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump’s tariffs: Prabowo
Thai authorities find staged foreign government offices during raid on suspected scam hub
Law enforcement kills armed man seeking to enter Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort, officials say

Others Also Read